Non-manifold edges

@JWW, import your last posted STL into Rhino, choose these settings:

grafik

next use _Explode and delete the 2 pieces which should not be there, then _Export the remaining part.

I guess when you export as STL, you somehow exported all 3 parts. There should only be one part selected in Rhino before you start the _Export command.

_
c.

Weird. I placed a solid cylinder completely through the bore and subtracted figuring that was the problem. Nope. There’s still a surface plane down inside the bore, plus there’s a cap on the dovetail end. The _check command says ‘Rhino polysurface object is valid.’ I’m totally lost now.

Would you mind telling me what the ‘default’ setting were for the STL Import Options dialogue box was so I can put it back the way it was. I forgot to screen capture it.

I have no idea what you mean. When I saved to a .STL file I simply clicked on the edge of the 3D model and it created the selection set. I didn’t window it. I tried exploding it and joining everything and still have the same problem. I also changed the settings as you mentioned in the import dialogue box and deleted the objects (whatever or where ever they came from). The .STL model looked terrible.

Hi @JWW, these are the default settings for the STL import:

grafik

the effect you see in your image is called smooth shading. If you look at the object with _FlatShade enabled, you’ll see what your printer will actually output. Don’t forget to set it back (disable it) or all shadeable objects will be displayed flatshaded. That is nothing bad about the mesh, read more here.

How did you create your object as STL? Are you using the _Export command or _Save or _SaveAs ? The reason i ask is that if you use _Export you have to explicitely select what is exported (1 object) while if you use _Save, all objects are saved, without having to select anything.

The parts in the inside cylinder which should not be there must exist in your Rhino file, otherwise they would not appear in your STL file.
_
c.

I appreciate your help but this is totally frustrating. You have my model so show me where those entities are in the .3dm file. ? I don’t physically see them when I render a window. I can even see the small hole down in the bore but when I SaveAs and generated the .STL file, then bring it back into Rhino to view it, there’s cap (maybe a cone looking entity) on the end of the dovetail that looks up into the bore.

This is the .STL file.

Hi @JWW, please read my last reply. The Rhino file

MM-11 eyepiece dovetail adapter for18mm DiMAGE.3dm

you’ve uploaded contains 3 objects. The first object is the one you like to get an STL from and is visible. The second is the hidden object which is an open object and causes that you get an error when using _SaveAs in STL format. The third one is on a hidden layer named “Layer 01”, it is the part inside the bore.

Whenever you use _SaveAs and choose the STL format, all contents of your scene are exported and are joined into one mesh. I therefore recommend to use the _Export command and select only what you want in your STL.

_
c.