No-Draw Material, Please

Well 20% of the work of any programming task is making the basic thing you’re trying to do work, 80% is the GUI, and nobody’s done that for Blender Cycles so there was no thought to copy that nonexistent UI over to Rhino yet.

The first goal of the Cycles integration has been to get the features that Rhino already provides.

When the upgrade to Cycles X (Blender 3.+ Cycles) is completed we can be pretty confident that integration is mature.

Now, when we start thinking about adding or supporting new features from Cycles in Rhino we need to take into account the whole. At least most of what we want to do should somehow work in Rendered mode as well. Adding new things means also thinking about how it will fit in. There has not been a focus bringing new features but rather to consolidate and improve what we have done in Rhino 6 with Raytraced and Rhino 7 with both Raytraced and Rhino Render. This consolidation is taking place in Rhino 8, along with the update to latest Cycles codebase, part of the work is to make the upgrade work easier (it has been rather painful to do that up until now).

So, Rhino 8 WIP is about consolidating, streamlining and improving the rendering GUI (materials, lights, environments, textures) and making sure the codebase is ready for beyond Rhino 8 (currerntly through work on Cycles X, native procedural implementations, UV mapping improvements).

3 Likes

hi @nathanletwory, you might be able to achieve this feature request by consolidation and consistency with Rendered view behavior.

Currently, you can assign ‘no print’ as the print width property to any object:

\And when you set the _PrintDisplay to ‘on’ in shaded and Rendered view these objects will be invisible. Currently, Raytraced (Cycles) does not pay attention to this _PrintView mode.

Best,

G

That is because Raytraced and Rhino Render don’t have knowledge about this settings. Print color and and print width are no rendering settings.

I do agree this is confusing though, but setting No Print for Print Width on an object doesn’t hide it from the viewport either, and to work it in a no-draw material way should have it hide in there at the same time. Raytraced is a WYSIWYG (assuming no bugs).

Also, playing a bit with the print width setting I think hiding the object with no print is weird. In shaded mode it appears to control the width of linework. I would assume that No Print would just hide the linework, but keep the object, but it apparently it hides the object. Relating to any of the other print widths that doesn’t make sense to me - hiding an object with a setting that affects something else. Sure, in wireframe it amounts to seeing nothing, but Print Width for a surface doesn’t make sense. Granted, I don’t do illustrations nor printing, so I probably have no idea what I am talking about.

Although I can see what you are trying to suggest, I don’t think it makes sense for the proposed use-case (and as I explained the current behavior doesn’t make sense to my either).

I don’t have a good proposal how to do this either.

When I get I chance, I will record a video, working with larger materials.
(I’ve had 4 Dr. Appointments this week.}

Take it easy, no hurry needed for me!

1 Like