Nice rainbow unwanted color

@richard.aubin Which version did you download and install? Which version did you have installed previously?

I cannot download either a new Service Release nor Service Release Candidate. The system says I have the newest version installed. Rhino 7 SR30 2023-5-5

@gils You mentioned in another thread

That YT is not publicly available yet.
I assume releasing a workaround or fix for this issue will have extremely high priority when Seattle wakes up.

Rhino - Downloads (rhino3d.com)

Downloaded the non evaluation version, and I also uninstalled what I already had.

Makes sense. I’d like to avoid uninstalling if possible.

I had no issues with reinstalling. Everything is exactly where it was upon launching. Your call friend.

1 Like

I’ve just uninstalled and reinstalled. It’s working again. All my custom buttons etc… are still there.

1 Like

Looks like the environment map (rhino_shaded_mode_emap_background.png) used for the Shaded view was swapped with another one that produces that rainbow-like texture. It would be easier for those who have the issue described in this topic to simply replace the wrong environment map with the proper one. Its folder is C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\System

Alternatively, as a temporary solution, they could make a custom viewport mode that uses the exact same settings like the default Shaded view and set the same environment map stored in some folder of their liking. Not the best solution, but still could help until an official fix is published. This one has some custom settings done by me, but they could be changed by you according to your liking:

Shaded 2.ini (13.9 KB)

rhino_shaded_mode_emap_background

I also posted it here:

Bobbi, have you test this or is it an assumption? Would the environment map also cause the objects to become semi-transparent?

I uninstalled SRC 30 and installed the SR 29. Everything appears to be working as intended.

Sorry about this. We just shipped a new 7.30 RC with a fix for this issue.

2 Likes

Things happen! Thank you-Mark

1 Like

The screenshots above clearly show a totally different environment map. This is why my assumption is that for some reason the Shaded view no longer used the proper environment map in Rhino 7 SR30.

its a bug, 7.30 is the fix as dan posted above

I know, just replied what’s my assumption. Nice to see that the fix came in just several hours. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Dan,

Thanks for rolling out the fix. FYI this latest RC is dated 5/5, not 10/5.

Regards
Jeremy

We noticed the same thing, it’s the correct one. Dan mentioned something about a dog running amuck at the time, fat pawed apparently.

1 Like

today download (automaticly vers 30 ) same issue
ok manualy latest buidl and all ok

Good eye!

It’s the date the build happened, not actually the release-date. So, in this case, it’s correct. It was built last Friday (May 5th). What happened here is that we had a build at 3:00 am PDT that contained this bug. Last Friday, we worked to fix it (I actually released another RhinoWIP for V8 to fix it), but we discovered later that the bug was in 7.x as well, so we fixed it there too. That build happened at around 3:00 pm (PDT) with the fix in it. However, on Tuesday afternoon I mistakenly released the 3:00 am version with the bug - even though there was a newer build. Correcting this mistake was relatively easy once we figured out what happened.

WARNING: Below the fold is some version-number-build-process-nerd-core-info. Feel free to ignore it…

Here’s a Rhino version number:

which can be broken down like this:

• The first two decimal-separated numbers are easy: MajorVersion.ServiceRelease
  • The next five digits - 23125 - are the second two digits of the calendar year (202323) - then the ordinal day of the year: 125 is the 125th day of 2023 (so 23125 is May 5th, 2023).
  • The next 4 digits are the time the build started, so 1500 is 3 pm or 15h00.
  • The final digit is a rather “future-fragile” enumeration that we kinda tacked on at the last minute:
    • 1 = “stable” shipping version (Windows)
    • 2 = “stable” shipping version (Mac)
    • 3 = Beta (Windows)
    • 4 = Beta (Mac)
    • 5 = WIP (Windows)
    • 6 = WIP (Mac)

The nice part of this semantic versioning system is a newer version will always be a bigger number and, if you know the system, you can tell exactly when a version was built…something which I should clearly check more carefully before I hit the big red SHIP IT button.

Thanks again for your patience y’all.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Rhino 7 Service Release Candidate Available:

It looks kinda cool, but it’s super annoying.

How do I revert to the previous version I had, which was probably the last SRC?

1 Like

don’t revert, update. the fix is in 7.30