Newbie property sizing enquiry:- simple box dimensions

A real beginner here, but one with decades of being a scientific programmer as my career.
I have searched as long as I am willing, but cannot find out how to resize (say) a box by any means whatsoever.
Even the properties window does not allow one to edit the width, height nor depth of a simple extruded box.
And right-clicking on the selected box produces nothing.

What I would like:-
After creating a box, I would like to edit its sizes, and location.

Any clues?

I can find none in the “help”.

This is an often asked question. The short answer is “you can’t”.

Rhino is not parametric; objects do not have a memory of their construction data attached to them that you can modify.

So the way it works in Rhino is you change the size of the box after creation by using any one of a number of tools - scaling, moving individual faces using subobject selection, etc. For moving the box itself, there are also many ways, as simple as dragging the object (Osnaps work), using the Move command, etc.

HTH, --Mitch

Pretty harsh, Mitch, especially when you put it in the first line of your answer! :smile:

Since Michael self identified as a “real beginner”, he may not even know what a parametric modelling program is. In my reading of his post I assumed he was having difficulty finding how to do these things at all.

So, Michael, the real answer is in Mitch’s 3rd paragraph. For changing the size of an already drawn object, use the scale command. You can scale in 1 dimension, 2 dimensions, or 3. Since it’s a scale command, you don’t just tell the object what the new dimension should be; instead you tell it a factor by which the existing dimension should be multiplied.

Have you become familiar with the command help? There’s plenty of detailed info in it about how to do things in Rhino. It may take several readings and some trial and error, though, to wrap your mind around the basic concepts of how things are done in 3D modeling in general and Rhino specifically. Your scientific programming expertise may actually hinder you a bit until you get over the initial hump, but will probably ultimately help your understanding of what Rhino is doing “under the hood”.

So, this Rhino is an interactive modeler/CAD. The user is largely insulated from thinking of their object as a program, and instead the user works with the object like a piece of clay.

BTW, used with care, the SolidPtOn node editing is very powerful.

_BoxEdit

can help some for this.

-Pascal

1 Like

It wasn’t intended to be harsh, sorry if it came off that way… More of just a satiric way of saying that Rhino doesn’t work that way… --Mitch

I agree with Pascal from what you said regarding resizing a box box edit should do the trick for you.

Welcome to Rhino you will love it.

All my best … Danny

Thanks very much for your replies.
They pretty much all answered my question!
For your info, I am only a newbie to the Rhino software.
I have a degree in Computer Programming and Applied Mathematics, so am not a newbie to CAD in general.

Other CAD packages that I have tried suffer from this very basic shortcoming as well.
Rhino is definitely NOT the package to suit my needs then.
It is an absolute requirement for my applications that there be a parametric history of all objects, that can be edited to extreme precision using numerical dialog boxes. Scaling just won’t cut it, I’m afraid.
Much as in the manner of say, Photoshop.

I am using the 90 day trial of Rhino for this very purpose, as I have been stung by other CAD packages not being able to do this.

Thanks again!

Hi Michael,
I think you are mingling two entirely unrelated things here. Parametric model structure and model accuracy.
Rhino as other non-parametric CAD programs too is accurate enough to match arbitrary manufacturing demands and more than likely also your scientific tasks.The program offers a great array of good analysis tools, all object data rather gets delivered upon request and can get edited interactively with fine grained control. This especially for freeform object may be a very efficient interface – just imagine the dialog box to control all parameters for a simple 3D curve – it had to be tremendously long. Again - precision is given, just the interface may not be the one you expect, comparisons with Photoshop aren’t adequate.

Wherever parametric programs such as Solidworks can be more efficient than say Rhino it’s clearly not due to increased model accuracy. Advantages rather are automatic model reconstruction upon design changes of complex models and automated procedures for popular mechanical design tasks, such as bending sheet metal.

One should also mention that Rhino with Grasshopper offers a node based workspace which lets you design your own parametric tools easily. The underlying idea here is again not to be geared towards a certain industry but to rather offer a highly adaptive toolbox for any sort of problem.

The parametric or non-parametric features have nothing to do with accuracy.
http://www.rhino3d.com/accuracy

I would use the Scale1D command. But instead of putting in the ratio, you can type in the exact dimension you want.

Click the base point,
Then click the point that is perpendicular to the direction you want to change the dimension.
Then type in the exact dimension you want.

Thanks biga.
I’ll try that, and see if it suits my needs.

Hi Michael,

I suggest to invest some time in checking out what grasshopper (http://www.grasshopper3d.com/) has to offer.

Grasshopper® is a graphical algorithm editor tightly integrated with Rhino’s 3-D modeling tools. Unlike RhinoScript, Grasshopper requires no knowledge of programming or scripting, but still allows designers to build form generators from the simple to the awe-inspiring.

Also be aware that Rhino offers various options (http://wiki.mcneel.com/developer/home) to create and manage geometry via scripting/programming. It’s extremely powerful is how much control it offers. If you are looking for a way to have exact control over your geometry Rhino has the options to do that, without much limitations for sure.

HTH
-Willem

P.S. also be aware that over here you will find a dedicated and helpful community, always willing to help out.
example of such instance: Arcs -- (poor man pt2) - #11 by jeff_hammond