New user with a goal of CNC boat design

Hi! Brand new user, limited experience with 3D modeling, no experience with CNC, never built a boat.

Just had a very pleasant time working through a basic process modeling a hull and flattening the panels:

I drew half an outline for three stations in the Front, with bow and stern shapes in the Right. Altering the height of the stations and ends created rocker when I used CurveThroughPt.

Lofted with Developable Surfaces, making a few adjustments based on the ruling lines (the perpendicular lines between curves that show twist?). Also tried DevSrf although wasn’t getting easy results. Will try again.

I mirrored the half hull, put them close together, Lofting a flat little bit for the keel and ends. Is there a way to have an object mirrored without actually mirroring it? Just showing what the reflection would be, and the reflection is updated as the object is adjusted? So your modeling a half but shown the whole.

Unrolled the shapes. Pretty cool. Why do they unroll in a random orientation instead of all in a neat row? And the unrolled shapes have the ruling lines - necessary?

Checked out CurvatureGraph and CurvatureAnalysis but am not getting much. I think i’m too far along with too many random methods. I suspect these things are meant to be used from the beginning.

I’m about to jump back in and go through this exercise again starting from scratch, focusing on making fair curves and minimizing control points. Also curious about scale - do I just make a layer with a bunch of measured geometry and reference my model against that?

Any feedback is appreciated.

1 Like

Lots of great information on Rhino out there. Managed to answer most my questions. Here is where I am at.

Took a bit of getting used to but now I mostly use Devsrf for lofting. Created bulkheads by using Intersect on the hull with a rectangle. If anybody wanted to take a look at the file and let me know if I’m on the right track that would be great.

experimental.3dm (489.7 KB)