New UI: Lock docked windows doesn't work

I noticed that locking the docked windows doesn’t actually lock them. Take a look:

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan -

Yea, I asked for a rewording a while ago but it should probably have been YT-ified…
RH-69858 Containers: Reword locking of windows

That setting locks the containers in their docked position but doesn’t lock the contents of a container.
-wim

Oh yes, I see that now. Is there a plan to be able to lock the contents too?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan -

No, not that I’m aware of.
Are you finding that it’s too easy to break out panels or toolbars from containers? In other words, which problem needs solving?
-wim

Locked should really mean locked. No accidental dragging or anything.

Hi Wim,

I think time will tell on whether or not the contents get accidentally undocked. I suspect this will be a topic of conversation here in the future. I would think most of our users would expect the lock would prevent any changes to the UI, other than re-sizing like we can do in V7.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi -

But Piotr says that locked should really mean locked, which would mean no resizing either, no?
-wim

I will defence my statement here:
when working in rush (most of the time) accidental dragging happens quite often and it steels precious seconds to restore the UI to the previous state.
Maybe it is possible to bring two locking options: lock some, lock all or anything like that.

I think resizing should be allowed, but not allow removing contents of a container when locked. Maybe Piotr is on to something here. Lock containers only and/or lock contents of containers might be options that could make everyone happy.

RH-69858 is fixed in the latest WIP

Hi Brian,

The re-wording was missed here:

I noticed that you can remove locked containers if you remove all the contents. Take a look (the containers are locked in this video):

Not sure if that was intentional or not, but I thought I would point it out.

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks, Dan.
I think that was intentional, yes. We had crashes related to containers that were empty and so, as far as I can tell, it was made impossible to have empty containers hanging around.

I’ll get that on the list, thanks!
RH-69961 Options: Toolbars → reword “lock docked windows”
-wim

That explains it.

Thanks,

Dan