New UI for PictureFrame

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. Feel free to show me when you have time.

I’ve checked in the that should make the 1To1 option work on the Picture test command. If you don’t mind, please test to see that, and normal picture picking, work as expected.

I wouldn’t mind a picky sister looking over all of the options to make sure dynamic feed back (e.g. points, lines) are what you’d expect.

I can. But I have not done this yet.

I need to think about this a bit, so this “wish” is not implemented yet.

Thanks,

– Dale

The options are looking pretty good in rev 103355 v6 @dale, nice work… but I have two thoughts on making it even better.

• The 3 point option doesn’t let you skew the image with the picking of the third point. If you hold down Shift it appears that you could but the aspect ratio is preserved no matter where you click. Maybe I’m using it wrong but plane by 3 point allows for this.

• I think the command line should prompt “First corner of picture. Hold Shift to skew.” when adding a picture to indicate that a non-uniform aspect ratio is possible.

I also have to say that after the back and forth about a name change, calling it Picture should be discoverable for users looking for PictureFrame… It’s growing on me.

You can’t skew a rectangle with the 3Point option, either. Would you want it to work there, too? How about when drawing a box?

I’m not sure I see the utility of drawing a skewed picture frame, either. Can you enlighten me?

Good point… not sure what I was thinking other than just matching what was possible with the Plane command… which has the same options. We probably don’t need to scale with the third point (skew was the wrong word too). You could always scale after the Picture was made anyhow if you really needed to.

I see, you’re actually looking to make a rectangular plane, just with the aspect ratio different than the original image. I agree that post-editing is probably simpler than building every option into the command. In fact, I think that’s often true in Rhino: things would be simpler and easier to understand if our creation commands had fewer options, and editing existing geometry was simpler.

@bobmcneel, @pascal, @BrianJ: I just committed what I think are the final changes to the new Picture test command. Pascal as requested that when picking the first point and in 1to1 mode that the image dynamically draw.

Please test in revision: 104792

Bob, you mentioned that the results of Picture were different from that of PictureFrame. I don’t see any. Does anyone else.

I believe I am ready to demote PictureFrame to a test command and promote Picture to a real command. Let me know if you believe the same.

– Dale

Looks good to me Dale… tested in rev 104812

@dale Is that done yet?

@andy There is also some work needed on the Picture/Image simple material. It looks like part of that work is done but it is not hooked to the Picture object yet.

I was going to run it by @pascal on Monday (sanity check)…

Hi Dale - The UI seems good to me so far… We might hear about making the image semi-transparent while it is being placed, I suppose, but it is certainly very usable and clear now.

-Pascal

Picture material is currently hung up on this:

http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-26886

The naming does not seem to be as discussed. Right now the objects are named “PictureFrame” and “PictureFrame (1),” etc. Using the bitmap name would be more appropriate.

When opening an image file, “All compatible file types” offers All file types, not just compatible ones. Is this appropriate in this situation? Shouldn’t just the image file types show up in this case? You get a command-line error message that tells you the file type is not compatible.

The objects are not named this. But rather the objects’ materials are named “PictureFrame.” I’m happy to change this - just make a YouTrack item and assign it to me. I’m not sure about naming the material after the bitmap, as it is possible to replace the bitmap. Perhaps “Picture” is sufficient?

I agree. Please make a YouTrack item and assign it to me. Note, this fix will change every file open dialog box that filters for images files.

@margaret Did I miss some details in the prototype help document.?

There is more work to be done by @andy.

The prompts for this are a little confusing.
“Start of edge:” is fine, but
“End of edge:” isn’t really the end, it’s a direction. The location of the edge depends on the size of the image.

I would also spell 1to1 with a lower-case “t”.

Oki doki

This looked weird to me, I thought it was a buglet…

-Pascal

How about about 1=1?

Using any punctuation character in a clickable option is not allows…