New to Rhino 6, need help!

Hello,

I am a newbie to the modeling world and I have worked previously with Sketchup, Solidworks, and Revit.
After I joined a company, I was asked to learn Rhino and it has been a week since I picked it up. To be honest I have struggled a lot with this program to do even some basic tasks. I just hope I can get some help from people who have experience with it. By the way I finished David’s online course on Linkedin Learning.

Let’s begin with the CPplane. I dont know if there is an option to directly draw on a planar surface, because currently I have been resetting CPplane a lot.

Also, I don’t know how some curves and surface work. For example, the curve always exits even after I have used it to create a surface…the problem is that the surface has its own edges and often the two things would get together and mess things up, especially when the project getting more complicated.

Finally, I wonder whether there is a way for me to draw lines on vertical plane in perspective view.

Any advise would be appreciated, I really want to learn this program and be good at it

It sounds like you’re trying to model in Rhino using the techniques you learned in SolidWorks.

Rhino is more like AutoCAD than like SW.

I’d recommend you skim through the tutorials in the User’s Guide.
That will be the fastest way for you to come up to speed with NURBS surface modeling in Rhino:
http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/6/usersguide/en-us/index.htm

2 Likes

In addition to the User’s Guide which John recommended the Level 1 and Leve 2 Training Manuals can be used as self guided tutorials. https://www.rhino3d.com/tutorials

1 Like

Yes, Level 1 training manual contains all the essential basic information you need to know when starting with Rhino. It discusses many tools that you will otherwise not find on your own. It is not a very exciting book to go through but very effective.

2 Likes

It is understandable to be frustrated to learn a new interface , terminology and quirks of a new software. Be patient with it. You have come to the right place to find answers to road blocks in modeling. Expect it to take some time.
About drawing a vertical line in perspective viewport , select the line command and before placing the beginning point type the letter V and hit enter, then place your first point of the line. That respects the perpendicular of the current cplane. It can be in any orientation, but generally it’s default is oriented to top.
There are many YouTube and Vimeo videos that help as well. Pascal Golay has some nice short videos just on filleting in Rhino.
SolidWorks is a nice software. Has many great benefits why to use it. It has limitations too. So does Rhino. Good luck, Mark

1 Like

@wentaof00

A word of warning about the Level 1 and 2 training guides…

They are intended for instructor led training.
There are a few tricks and gotchas in them to get your attention so the instructor can make an important point. I would recommend them AFTER going through the User’s Guide or a training class.

The User’s Guide does not have these tricks. It is intended for self-paced training without an instructor.

The other option is formal training. We offer classroom training in Seattle and Miami. We also offer on-line live “webinar” training. Details are on the Learn page. Many Rhino resellers also offer training.

1 Like

Thanks for all those replies!!! I never thought I’d get them so quickly!!!

I definitely was frustrated but now I believe I am on the right track…the main problem is the desin logic. I was so stucked in the way used in Sketchup and Solidwork, thus I find the Rhino was much more limited. After taking advice from you guys and went through the manual, I certainly learned a lot and can do various things now.

Once again thank you for the help!!!

Just some update.
I am now loving Rhino and Grasshopper, it provides so many convenient ways to do tasks which would be hard if not impossible to do in Sketchup!
Here is a model of Lamborghini I built for fun, I just want to share it and thank you for all the help and advices!

5 Likes

Thank you for the update.

1 Like

Hi,

I started trying to respond to your first post.
It looks like you are doing great!

1 Like

vertical lines - select polyline function click point and then hold ctrl and click point and your next segment will go vertical from that point :slight_smile:

1 Like