New Text, Leaders and Dimensions

@robo - Can you send me a 3dm file with an example of that? (Small is good)
I haven’t seen it and I can’t tell anything about why it happens from the pictures.
Thanks

here it is let me know if arrives ok

Grts

Rob

leaders.3dm (736 KB)

Rob - I did get it, and I see the same here as what you posted.
It’s a combination of the leaders being rotated and having the text set to horizontal.
I’ll work on it.
Thanks

wel the text should be horizontal , the r5 3dm is the good one if you open it in r6 the text gets rotated vertical and mirrord , not good , if it makes any difference leaders are created by a pythonscript

I agree with that and I see the same thing as in your images when I open it here.
I haven’t had a chance to dig into the file yet, but I doubt the python script part has anything to do with the problem.
It’s a problem on this end.

6 posts were split to a new topic: Creation Layer Controlled By Annotation Style

we did check the leaders a bit , and there is a difference in the coords in a hand made leader or the phyton leader , max z did write the script but he could not see why there was a difference ., grts

I looked a little more. I don’t have anything fixed but it’s my fault.

Lowell - what is the objective in using Dim styles to control Text objects?

To make it easier to make consistent looking drawings, with text looking like it goes with other annotations.
To make it possible to control the appearance of groups of text objects, like changing the font or size
@brian may have more to say about that.

1 Like

The only thing that I’d add is that it’s also consistent with the way most other text editing software (Word, Google Docs) works. My understanding is that for many people having a consistent style for text is important. This includes font size, font name, color, etc.

So by creating an annotation style for “Heading” text versus “Notes” text, you can easily create those two types of text. Later, if you want to make all the headings a little bigger, you can.

In previous versions of Rhino, changing all the text that is “Arial Narrow 10pt Bold” to “Courier New 12pt” is quite tedious.

Hi Brian and @lowell.

Today I ran into some issues with the new text editing behaviour.

I realise it’s probably better to collect them here as well.

Overall I see the advantages of the new system. However the downside I experienced is a loss of agility in editing texts. It’s probably partially fixable and partially the price we have to pay.

Text font editing - #7 by Willem

These 2 I realised later are based on the same restrictions. There is no way without explicitly swipe selecting text in the editor to modify text on the fly.

In other words: where previously I could set only all text of a text object in a certain style font or size. In the WIP I need to explicitly select the portion of a text I want to modify.

So we lost the ability to quickly modify the style of all tect in a (selection of) text object(s). This is now handled via styles.

I’d opt for the text editor to work on all of the textstring when no subselection is made. So if I select multiple text objects and hit bold in the editor, all of the text in the text objects will be set bold.

Hope this makes sense
Thanks
-Willem

I understand what you mean about applying formatting changes to all of the text when nothing is selected.
Pascal wrote a bug report a while back suggesting something similar to that.
It won’t come until a few more things are more stable, but I’ll write a bug report about it.

1 Like

Hi @willem,

The controls are only enabled when the multiple text annotations that are selected are identical (same text, same rich text formatting). That’s because there’s no way to select a substring of the text if they are different: represented by (varies). When the text is the same but the rich text formatting is different that’s also confusing: the text is displayed w/o the formatting since there’s no way to show the different formatting of each selected item. That’s why we opted to disable the controls in those cases.

I think what adds to the confusion is that it’s not obvious that the controls do not change the style at all but only the rich text string. Ex: if you change the font in the middle of a string the font drop down will change as your cursor moves in and out of that substring.

Trying to have the same set of controls handle both the rich text and the style settings might add to the confusion. For example when a control overrides a style property the control label or border is blue to indicate that.

The top part of the dialog has controls that apply to the style so adding another set of font, bold, italics, underline controls there might be clearer: those new controls change the style whereas the original set just above the text box is for the rich text. The dialog may look to crowded though.

I don’t see a way to represent all these different ways to edit text that is not completely intuitive so we appreciate your feedback and will make changes to make it work.

I can’t figure out how to use the “Toggle stacking brackets” button in the Edit Leader dialog. What is is supposed to do?

Also, what does the Landing checkbox do?

The tools seems to be broken in the current in-house build.
Probably need a YT item for @Alain

If I remember correctly, you could select the dimension text and the toggle would add/remove the second set of square brackets which is interpreted as stacked/unstacked fractions

The toggle stacking brackets button is a shortcut to add or remove [[…]] around text selected in the edit box.
Stacking brackets will make the text between them stack, so that [[1/2]] will display as a stacked fraction.
The button operates on selected text, the same as the bold button does.
That’s not the same thing as enabling stacked fractions in a style which controls the formatting of dimension text.
It allows control of what gets stacked in free text.

Landing is a segment added to leaders after the last point you pick and the before the text.
Landing is oriented the same as the text - horizontal or aligned.

1 Like

Thanks, Lowell.

@jcparks if this isn’t resolved in the next WIP, can you please post a 3DM file that demonstratest this problem?

Just wanted to say I’m really loving these new features for the dimensions!