Rhino 7 Feature: QuadRemesh

Well as you may have figured that @Trav is doing much of the work. The quad remesher magic belongs to the wizard @maxime1.

There is more coming, please send us all the feedback you have so we can get this set of tools working well for everyone.

5 Likes

Incredible work and I’m so dang excited now! I’ve been a long time Tsplines user and having these features native to Rhino is OUTSTANDING! Wooooooooooot!!! Just bring it!!!

Kevin

5 Likes

This is very, very exciting! Great job @Trav and @maxime1! :+1:
Can we expect a Mac version of QuadRemesh next week when V6 is shipping - and V7 WIP becomes available to Mac users?
Thanks!

Philip

1 Like

We are working on a Mac version. Not sure when it will be available. It will not be in next weeks V6 version.

We are trying to bring the release of the two platforms more in sync with each other.

3 Likes

FWIW, Philip, our item tracker ID for this issue is RH-53378.
-wim

2 Likes

@Philip I’m hoping the Quad Remesh tool will be in Mac WIP 7 before the end of this month.

5 Likes

Great! Thank you!

Philip

By the way, is anyone having fun with this?

7 Likes

17 posts were split to a new topic: QuadRemesh trouble on simple mechanical mesh

Beautiful news
Signed: TSplines lover😊

1 Like

A couple more examples

12 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: QuadRemesher face errors

Wow – that doesn’t only look Zbrushy in the Viewport but also tool-naming in the panel looks oddly familiar :o). A very interesting development indeed – also curve-support is great, especially as surface-edges as input already hooked up.

On thing that comes to my mind is that one for SubD editing the remeshed part really needs to push down the cage density as far a somehow possible. In this low polygon state the remeshed part will obviously not capture the original shape accurately.

Right: Usefulness for SubD-Modelling good – shape integrity bad

In tools like Zbrush one usually also wants to get a very low res cage as the result of a remesh operation. In order to capture the source shape accurately one may dynamically increase the subdivision level the cage and reproject (pull) the vertices of the denser version to the precise original geometry. This way one may create a loose and perfectly editable base-mesh which will however nicely capture the source-shape if subdivided further.

I’m not sure how exactly a good solution for a limit surface based implementation had to work, but some sort of reproject to higher levels likely had to take place too (I first thought that Interpolate was what I describe – but it only works on that single, already established mesh resolution).

We welcome any feedback you have on this new Quad Remesh features. We encourage any comments or questions be created as new topic in the Quad Remesh Category:

https://discourse.mcneel.com/c/serengeti/quad-remesh

This should make the future topics easier for others to find.

In this weeks WIP you’ll find more improvements to hard edge detection.

23 Likes

In this weeks WIP you’ll find the addition of 3 new settings for the QuadRemesh command

1. Target Edge Length - setting this value to a value greater than 0 will let the quad remesh algorithm attempt to compute quads with an edge length as close as possible to the value based on the objects curvature. Using this setting will disable Target Quad Count / Adaptive Size / Adaptive Quad Count.

1. Multi-Axis Symmetry - Symmetry can now be applied to more than 1 axis. X / XY / XZ etc.

Example Remeshed with XY Symmetry

Example: Remeshed with XYZ Symmetry

Example: Multiple combinations of XY XZ ZY

1. Adaptive Quad Count - When disabled Adaptive Size value will generate varying size quads but still try to hit the goal of target quad count. When enabled the target quad count will be less respected by adaptive size values in order to better fit the curvature of the shape.
17 Likes

Brian James has created a quick demo video of using the new Quad Remesh tool in a SubD workflow that you can watch here.

6 Likes

Hi everyone!

I made an in depth walk through video on how the different controls work in the new QuadRemesh command. Hopefully this video will help you get the most out of this powerful new tool.

23 Likes

In this weeks 7.0 WIP you’ll find 2 new subtle enhancement features to the new QuadRemesher command.

First: When the preview checkbox is selected and the preview has generated for a single mesh you will see what the mesh face count as well as average mesh edge length the new mesh will have. These results will also be written to the command line as well when pressing OK.

Second: There is now an additional SubD conversion option to remove any creases that may be in the resulting subd. This saves a step of removing them after running QuadRemesher.

8 Likes