New Plugin version released

I have updated the latest TEST build with:

• Compiled with Octane 2.23.1
  • Added Scale Textures option on the Octane material panel to scale all texturemaps and procedural textures for the given material simultaneously
  • If Safe Frame is enabled, OR when rendering to the Rhino render panel with “Set Rhino Render Resolution from Octane Resolution” off, the Octane FOV is calculated to take into account the Rhino Safe Frame

Pls see http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=42587 for download links.

Thanks

Paul

Thanks Paul. The Scale Textures is a real timesaver, or will be once I get the download. I finally got my Octane not loading issues sorted out last weekend (with your help!) and had forgotten just how much I relied on it in my workflow. My client is off to London to meet with his big client with a very nice set of Octane renders and he sounds much more confident and relaxed than the last meet in which he tried to show the client a very big file in rendered preview on his laptop in realtime with the client. I think he is counting on the renders to do the job this time. We may try to do a Skype screensharing of the model on my machine with the Octane materials enabled. I did this for the first time with my client last week and he was blown away at how fast the render window updates. One thing though, when navigating in the Octane window, how do I get the view to spin and not orbit? Odd to have a ship model not keep the z axis up.

Good point. I will try to rectify this in the next release of the plugin.

Paul

I have updated the plugin with:

• Fixed error loading scenes containing ORBX/OCS proxies
  • Changed Viewport navigation to spin rather than orbit

Download link is at the top of this thread.

Paul

Thanks Paul. You are quick!

Can I share an image here of my last Octane render?

I love the soft look of the atmosphere and the subtle reflection in the waterplane. Look forward to the new release and thanks for addressing the spin verses orbit issue in the navigation. It is always good to keep the z up with something that is supposed to stay stable upon the water. Case in point…

This is the result of manipulating the view in the Octane window and it soon gets all askew but hopefully your latest release had dealt with this.

Thanks Mucho! Have a great Cinco de Mayo!

Lovely renders!

Thanks Paul. We are having fun on this project and the renders really get everyone inspired.

Wow.

Inspired me to try and replicate your water. I was able to soften the shadow in the water by added SSS to the water material. Works surprising well given the water surface is just a plane, and not a closed body. Ripples are the bump from the LiveDb material “Water (wawe v2)”. Transmission = light blue, Fake Shadows on.

Thanks for the recipe for the water. Mine is nowhere near as advanced. Will you put it on the LiveDB? Here is another water of mine but think it needs some displacement. For a yacht render, the water material is so important.

It was only a 5 min test to see what can be done - so not LiveDb worthly. I think displacement over such a large area will give a poor result. Better to ripple the mesh in Rhino I think. If you only want small ripples, bump will be fine. But the trick will be to use the right IOR for sea water and then the ripples will reflect some light and absorb the rest. All the depends on the amount of ripple and the camera angle I guess. But I think you will know more about this than me.

Paul

I have updated the latest TEST build with:

• Added Render Layer field for Geometry items with Live Update enabled. This will allow Shadow Passes to be used (remember to enable Kernel->Alpha Channel when doing this)
  • When using an ORBX as a proxy, if there is not a single disconnected geometry node in the proxy scene, the plugin will use the first Geometry Out node, and if that is not found if will use the node that is connected to the Mesh pin of the Rendertarget

Pls see http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=4258727 for download links.

Thanks

Paul

There have been a lot of enhancements since 2.23.2.40 above. New release notes are:

• Requires Rhino5 SR12
  • Compiled with Octane 2.24.1
  • Added Rhino command “OctaneImportRendertarget” to import an Octane Rendertarget
  • Added Rhino command “OctaneSaveImage” to save the Viewport image as single layer PNG/EXR
  • Added Rhino command “OctaneSaveRenderPasses” to save the Viewport renderpasses as multi-layer EXR
  • Changed OctaneRenderOpenViewport command name to OctaneOpenViewport
  • Changed OctaneRenderCloseViewport command name to OctaneCloseViewport
  • Added check to ensure there are < 5000 materials in the scene. If there are > 5000 materials, Rhino has created duplicate materials which the user will need to fix
  • Fixed issue where enabling Sync Octane Focal Depth to Rhino was causing the render to restart once it had completed

• Added Configuration option to disable tooltips in the Settings and Materials trees
  • When “Sync Octane Environment to Rhino Environment” is enabled, if you edit the jpg specified as the Rhino IBL in a 3rd party app and save the jpg, the plugin will automatically re-load the revised texturemap into Octane
  • Fixed issue where editing Octane materials from the Rhino Properties->Material->Edit button was not working
  • Fixed issue where importing/pasting materials was not updating in the Octane Viewport

• Compiled with Octane 2.24
  • Added Help button to the Setup form which opens the plugin manual

• Internal changes to the activation process
  • Float ranges (like “rotation”) which go from -360 to 360 are now limited to 0 to 360
  • Int and Float sliders now stretch to fill the panel width
  • Fixed issue where rotating the Rhino camera with the Alt-Shift keys caused the viewport to become un’synced
  • If the file C:\ProgramData\OctaneRender\rhino_license.xml is found, the username/password contained in that file is used to authenticate the plugin rather than the normal single-user username/password. If this file is found, the user Id is displayed in the Activation tab, however the Password, Activate and Deactivate controls are disabled.

• Added ability to set the render layer of all selected rhino items (assuming they all have Live Update ticked)

• Added open “Open Settings Tree on Render Start” to the configuration, which If ticked, the Settings tree will be expanded when you open the Octane Viewport (or Refresh the scene)
  • Fixed “Error in SetOctaneApiNodeValue” error displaying when changing saved views

• Fixed Cuda error when exploding block instances
  • Fixed issue where active render passes were not being listed in the Render Pass combo box when the Viewport was first opened
  • Fixed the normals and tangent passes not displaying in the Viewport (problem introduced in 2.23.2)

Pls see http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=42587271 for download links.

Thanks

Paul