New Layer with random color

Thanks for the python option, I’ll take it as a second option. But I’m looking for a way to have this integrated in the layer manager.

1 Like

@q.andreotti add the attached command which will allow you to toggle new layer creation with random color on or off as needed.

I’m also working on a slightly more complex command that generates “visually distinct” layer palettes based on Kelly’s 22 colors of maximum visual contrast. This is really helpful when visualising many elements to ensure better legibility.

NewLayerRandomColorToggle_cmd.py (2.4 KB)

7 Likes

Great, perfect with the toggle option.

thanks!

1 Like

@dale @pascal @piac what do you guys think? Feature request?

Hi @gmacarchitect,

We’ll have something in Rhino 8.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-4978

– Dale

4 Likes

Hey Dale,

Saw the issue has been addressed here https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-4978. Great stuff!

Out of curiosity, why is this not the default behavior? Seems like users would always want to create layers with a random color in order to visually differentiate objects, and then set a specific color they want if necessary, be it black, blue, purple, or whatever.

1 Like

Hi Guido -

We were just discussing that in a meeting yesterday. To have that work fine, we would need to make sure that the random colors do not interfere with the background color and the selection color.
RH-70083 Layer: Make random color default behavior
RH-70082 Layer: Limit random colors
-wim

2 Likes

Oh… and make sure you add some harmonic components to the color generator so it turns out beautifully.

3 Likes

RH-70082 is fixed in the latest WIP

@Holo / @Helvetosaur

Use this quite often, to make ‘random’ layer colors that also look nice.

@brian

A gradient layer feature please, to select, 2,3 or 4+ colors and do this:

1 Like

Note as of V7, with GrasshopperPlayer you can encapsulate your Grasshopper definition and run it like a script from a button or an alias…

Yes, had a look into it, but encountered some issues. Also it is not instant, and has to open grasshopper first no?