New laptop, updated to Rhino6, everything crashes

Hi:). Yesterday I picked up a new Lenovo Yoga 730 after several recommendations, and promptly upgraded to Rhino6. The problem is that Rhino freezes whenever I open a slightly complicated file, and even ctrl+alt+delete takes forever to load. My old PC is nearly 7 years old and handles these files fine (Rhino5), anyone have any suggestions? Is the Lenovo simply crap?

Thanks in advance for all help:)

Here’s the system info:

Rhino 6 SR12 2019-1-29 (Rhino 6, 6.12.19029.6381, Git hash:master @ ae9d7fba5fda0b43002dc44a34e059a9a382db04)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-01-29
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-C08EM2I

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 9-14-2018 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.5.0 - Build 24.20.100.6344

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Intel
Render version: 4.5
Shading Language: 4.50 - Build 24.20.100.6344
Driver Date: 9-14-2018
Driver Version: 24.20.100.6344
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.12.19029.6381
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.12.19029.6381
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.12.19029.6381
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.12.19029.6381
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hei Ø,
I would first try to update those Intel GPU drivers and see if that helps.

If you open the Notifications panel, there should be a warning about the age of those drivers. A bit of clicking from there gets you to the download page on the Intel site.
mvh,
w

Hi, thanks for the reply:)
I’ve updated to the latest drivers abefore posting, if I try to download directly from intel it says I need to download directly from Lenova as the driver is customized. Should I perhaps return the Lenovo and find another laptop with a better graphics card?

Hello - my colleague here, who knows better than I do, suggests that Intel 620 GPU ought to work OK with Rhino if you can get newer drivers from Lenovo.

-Pascal

1 Like

I think the issue is Windows made some big changes in October of last year. It took Intel some time to update their drivers to accommodate this change.
Lenovo has apparently not yet updated their tweaked version of these newer drivers.
I don’t have a fix for you but that’s what I think the problem likely is.

I would strongly recommend you return this computer and replace it with one with a recommended nVidia display adapter.

I’m running Rhino V6 on a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 with an Intel 540 adapter. It is not fast but it is reliable. I am running newer drivers like I mentioned above.

From whom?

It appears that others are having driver update issues with their Lenovo systems…

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/UHD-620-Driver-upgrade/td-p/4295833

You will find a post in that thread that recommends doing what we always suggest doing once you get a new Intel GPU based laptop…which is basically, delete the entire device AND drivers completely from your system, and then use Windows to update to the latest driver…either downloaded by you to your hard driver, or “Search the web”…

However, it appears that Lenovo has already put their latest drivers out on a separate link here:

I would download and install those… but if it were me, I would still go through the process of completely removing the Intel GPU device AND drivers using the DeviceManager, as discussed in the thread I posted above…

If you’re having a hard time understanding how that is done, please do not hesitate to ask back here… I will be glad to give you very simple, step-by-step instructions on how to do it… I’d post them here now, but I want you to read the thread in its entirety so that you have a better understanding of the issue.

Let us know…

Thanks,
-Jeff