New Dell Ultrabook 13” top o line, wont open 200mb 3dm file

I just bought an all-in, top of the line Dell ultrabook with external gpu thinking I can bring my office files home and pimp to client sites and conference rms and show the design team and clients the design. The 3dm file is 200mb of the residence barely half complete and will open easily on a 2 yr old desktop but not on the laptop with higher specs. (10th gen intel i7 1065-g7, 32mb ram, rtx 2070 super, +$3k investment). (Desktop is 3yr old Xeon with 16mb ram and old 4gb quadro card.)Which makes the investment not good as its not usable the way I thought. When I delete enough information to bring it down to 100mb it will open the file

Whats the reason for this and possible resolution? I dont understand why this is the case given the specs and how Rhino was never a heavy running program.

Best,

Michael

I suspect something wrong with the laptop hardware, os or the install of Rhino on it, 200mb is nothing…

Hmm, missed that part at first, if you disconnect that, does the file open?

Can you run SystemInfo in Rhino and copy/paste the results here?

Thanks for reinforcing my belief too. Im like wtf??? Id blame the RAM if anything but this ram is maxed out and running over 3000mhz fast. Nothing about this laptop, os 10, is suspicious, I can run 3dmax and revit. The Rhino file is trying to open for hours and not doing anything…

The egpu can be disconnected and same thing. Its a wonderful setup and works seamlessly rendering realtime.

OK, it was just a thought… Aside from the hardware, what else might be different on the laptop from the desktop that might cause this? Is this with any file that’s this large, or with just one particular file? I’m wondering if Rhino is stuck in an endless loop trying to find or resolve… something. Something that is not a problem on the desktop but is on the laptop.

I can try various files…is a good suggestion but I believe nothings special about either piece of equipment to prove these results… i know any badly formed polysurfs could cause this but my stuff is p clean and audited…another idea is to buy return a different laptop (razor blade or other dell xps w slightly diff specs, perhaps H series intel). I just like thin and pretty laptops unfortunately and already returned a dell 15 xps with super specs.

Helvetosaur

October 19

lee.mike.wong:
The egpu can be disconnected and same thing.

OK, it was just a thought… Aside from the hardware, what else might be different on the laptop from the desktop that might cause this? Is this with any file that’s this large, or with just one particular file? I’m wondering if Rhino is stuck in an endless loop trying to find or resolve… something. Something that is not a problem on the desktop but is on the laptop.

Well, the other thing might be to upload the file to McNeel and see if they find anything wrong with it… When you pare it down to 100 mb and then it opens - what are you taking out? What happens if you put the 100 MB you took out of the first file in another file and try to open that? Does it also open?