Networkx Module on GhPython

Hi, Has anyone been able to use the Networkx module on GhPython?, I been trying. GhPython throws this Error when I try to import it. Thanks

import sys
sys.path.append("C:/Python27/Lib/site-packages/networkx/")

import networkx

Runtime error (ArgumentException): Illegal characters in path.
Traceback:
line 4, in script

what is in line 4?

Besides that, don’t forget its IronPython you are using.
There is another Python script component downloadable which is based on standard Python, but because of this it cannot work with rhino objects since it cannot handle .dotnet libraries.

There’s nothing else in the script(import networkx was in line 4), I manage to “import” the module by correcting the path, but it throws other errors that i believe are not that easy to fix. Yes, I have try the CPython Component and it works, but it doesn’t manage lists and trees(output of the component) in the same way as the GhPython, so the output has to be formated. This are the new Errors:

import sys
sys.path.append("C:/Python27/Lib/site-packages/")

import networkx

Runtime error (ImportException): Cannot import name all_pairs_node_connectivity
Traceback:
  line 76, in <module>, "C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\networkx\algorithms\__init__.py"
  line 26, in <module>, "C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\networkx\generators\classic.py"
  line 6, in <module>, "C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\networkx\generators\__init__.py"
  line 114, in <module>, "C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\networkx\__init__.py"
  line 4, in script

According https://github.com/networkx/networkx/blob/master/setup.py the module requires scipy, numpy and such. Those are non-pure python modules that won’t work with IronPython.

you can also search for a dotnet-library doing the same as networkx…

I managed to import networkx library (version 2.0.dev_20160927182259) into rhino6 and gh earlier today without having numpy and scipy.

I placed the networkx folder into C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IronPython\Lib\site-packages\networkxrkx, typed in _EditPythonScript command went to Options, under Tools tab, and added the same path.

Hopefully this works for you and others, and below is the thread I was on (others’ comments may be helpful):

1 Like

That’s terrific news, thanks for the update! I wonder if this compatibility is because Rhino 6 ships with a newer version of IronPython (in which these dependency issues have been resolved, as I recall the decorators module was one issue). Anywho, IronPython in Rhino 5 is version 2.7.3:

Maybe you can check in Rhino 6?

1 Like

Hey Anders,
R6%20GH%20python
Running R6 SR3 RC3

Cheers,
David

1 Like

hi anders, mine is the same as above; 2.7.5, wondering if this indeed does make all the difference…

Yeah, if you also have Rhino 5 installed on your system, maybe try to see if you can run in there as well. Would be useful to know (i.e. if it’s this particular version of networkx, or, indeed the newer version of IronPython that is making things work).

so i opened up rhino5 32bit and gave it a try:
the version of ironpython is 2.7.5 (32-bit),
and it works with networkx version 1.5, but not with the 2.0 i was working with in rhino6.

so, in conclusion, although the versions are the same, i guess 32-bit only works with lower versions of networkx…?

Hmm, strange. Just tried on my home laptop Rhino5, still 2.7.3:

2018-03-16%2008_32_12-

I wouldn’t think that bit-depth have much to say here. Anywho, just glad to hear that it all works on Rhino 6 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, that’s good news, has anyone try the igraph library with the GHPython?, it seem to be bigger and a lot faster than networkxs, specially for calculation like centrality, betweeness…it solve like 15 times faster than networkxs, so if you have a very big graph(2000k nodes) that’s pretty much the only real solution in python, for windows, there’s other library that’s call graph-tools that apparently is faster 2 times igraph, I couldn’t find any package for windows.

I wonder why Graphs hasn’t been included as an standard data structure in grasshopper?, it seems pretty natural.:thinking:

Pretty sure it depends on C++ on the backend, so probably not straightforward to implement using GHPython (although one can probably go through ctypes ala this ShapeOp implementation). Or use one of the CPython Grasshopper plugins. There are also .NET graph libraries out there, if performance is an issue (i.e. implement them in a compiled C# plugin).

Hi Anders, this is great! It doens’t seem all that different from what I’ve done for networkx 2.0 in rhino 6. Could we basically implement other libraries following this process? Am I missing something?

There are quite a few threads here and on the old GH forum about this, but basically:

1. Since IronPython is written in C#, you can use most (maybe all?) .NET libraries directly (i.e. how we can implement RhinoCommon, Kangaroo, the Grasshopper API etc. in GHPython).

2. Most pure (i.e. written in straight up Python) Python modules should work in IronPython (there may be some compatibility issues here and there with versioning i.e. the networkx issues).

3. CPython modules that depend on e.g. C++, Fortran etc. on the backend (i.e. numpy, scipy etc.) won’t run in IronPython (or, not in any straight forward manner, see the now dead Enthought numpy project). That said, there are ways around this (i.e. to use one of the CPython components, or implement the C++ library directly), but these can be clunky and quite non-trivial solutions.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the explanation!

I was just a bit confused by the ShapeOp example you shared because the process didn’t seem all that different from implementing the networkx library.
Also, regarding CPython, what about this:

Since I’ve only implemented numpy, scipy, and networkx so far, it’s good to know what the possibilities and limitations are going down the road…

That example implements the ShapeOp C++ library directly using the OOTB ctypes Python module (which is also available in IronPython) to make, well, C types (see for instance this line). So in that sense, it is very different from implementing networkx (which is a pure Python module), even though they may look superficially similar.

In Rhino/GHPython (notably 64 bit)?

I haven’t tried it yet, so can’t really comment. Note that there is also this project:

I see, Anders. Thanks again for the explanation.

And nope, in Rhino5/GHPython 32bit.

I have briefly taken a look at the GHPythonRemote, but will have to wait till it is compatible with Rhino6.

1 Like