Nested 3D drawings required to depict typical Chinese lug-rig (junk-rig) design

My name is Jim Creighton, a member of the Junk Rig Association. I’m the builder of the SV Teleport (once Marco Polo). See the buyer’s blog: Teleport Expeditions. A Google search for “junk rig” will yield many examples to get an idea of what we are working with.

I attended the annual general meeting in New Zealand, and I recommended that the JRA invest in some quality graphics and video to help explain the junk rig to interested parties. The quality of what’s out there leaves something to be desired. Among other things, I suggested:

…….a 3D interactive drawing of a typical junk rig mounted on a boat such as Footprints. Capable of being rotated in any direction and zoomable to get in to see details.
It should consist of several layers, each depicting a separate category of parts. E.g., sail, mast, yard, boom, battens, standing rigging, running rigging, mast step, and so on.
Each layer should have check boxes. Like Google Earth. These will reveal notes in balloons pointing toward an item. Another check box to go to a separate drawing and/or text explanation.
The boat layers should be very basic. No details to distract. It should be showable as opaque, transparent (ghost-like) and invisible.
A gallery of photographs should accompany this set.

I have seen some SketchUp renderings of boats and was very impressed with the clarity of the images. We are looking for someone to engage in the effort I described above. The JRA could supply 2d drawings and sketches and photographs to work from.
We could also be interested in an animated version.
jc57025@gmail.com

Hi James,

I can perhaps help you in your Junk presentation material. I use a web based publishing site called SketchFab to post my projects which are done in Rhino3D. It translates the Rhino 3dm format into .obj files along with color and textures and displays very nicely in a browser window. There is also a feature that lets one add annotation dots that when clicked will display further information just as you mention. Have a look at this schooner model that I did for a Google exec who was renovating a boat that his step father had built and wanted a nice 3d model to play with in the years it took to do the restoration. I worked from original plans (very scaled down) that were published in the designers book and hundreds of photos provided of the boat from the owner. I had hoped that he and I could eventually do a VR type presentation with the 3d model as that was about the time that Google Glass came out, but they killed that program and we never took it any further. Let me know what you think of the SketchFab model and we can talk.

Hi Joseph,

Excellent! This is exactly what I was hoping to see, an interactive 3D rendering.

Do you do this kind of work for a living? If so, would you be interested in doing this project for us? Could you give us a ballpark estimate of cost? Of course, it would depend on how far we go. It would have to be approved by the Junk Rig Association committee of management. They have already approved a project in principle.

One possible platform for us would be the junk rigged https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCP2l0HVHaw Footprints. Google: “Footprints junk rig”. We can provide a study print. It’s a very simple boat to draw. Online you will see two different types of sail we want to portray: (A) the so-called Hasler/McLeod rig (flat sail) in red and (B) the cambered sail, in white, where each panel is cambered like a wing to produce a more powerful, weatherly rig.

Too bad about the Google Glass. I had envisioned a 360 deg camera on a long selfie-pole on the stern of a boat. A VR version would be even better.

BTW, The schooner you depict is gorgeous.

Cheers, Jim

Hi James,

I do many sorts of mostly marine and yacht projects and can perhaps provide the sort of file and presentation that you need. And as an added bonus, I have actually sailed with a Junk rig, one that was even on a real Junk! Why don't you contact me here on a PM and we can discuss just how we can come up with something similar to the schooner example. I might even be able to use Grasshopper to manipulate the sails using slider bars and other tools there.

I have a friend who might be interested in tackling the Grasshopper magic but I can do basic stuff there and would like to explore that sort of thin better.

Are you aware of a feature in Rhino that lets one attach a HTML web address to any object such as a winch or rigging block. From within the Rhino model you can access a list of 'hot linked' objects and click on them and that will trigger that webpage that is associated with that object to open. Great way to use a boat model as an 'owners manual' with equipment parts lists or spec sheets readily available. 

Lets talk!

Hi Joseph,

Okay, good. Let’s talk some more.
Now, I am going to be busy until Thursday.
What time zone are you in?
Shall we switch to personal email ?
jc57025@gmail.com?