Neons Speed

I have 8 gigs of ram and a nvidia quadro 5000 running 64 bit Rhino 5.

Neon still seems to slow to be a viable option as a renderer. Brazil can smoke it with the right settings. I do like the implications of neon - being a live rendered viewport.

Would adding ram do anything to increase the speed of neon or does it really just need a caustics board to boost the speed?

The memory would only really help if you find you’re scenes are running out - say in the task manager. If you get into swap, then you’d certainly slow down.

The graphics card is only used to display the image to the screen so shouldn’t factor into speed.

The geometry, material and light types usually factor into the performance. Using Brazil Materials and lights with appropriate sampling values is where I’d start looking first.

What is the triangle count and number of lights?

Any advanced scene analysis would likely need to be done by Andy or Brian.

(Brian James) #3

Speed in Neon is all CPU based unless you use one of the Caustic cards. Limit the number of lights and the complexity of the materials as well as the poly count which Tom mentioned to optimize a scene. Like you mentioned, there is no concept of irradiance mapping in Neon so you don’t have that option like when rendering in Brazil alone to reduce calculation time.

Would having a Caustic card increase the speed of the Brazil rendering engine? Or is it’s only advantage increasing the ray tracing speed of Neon plugin?

It will accelerate the Neon plugin but not the Brazil renderer.