Neon problems with last build

I’m not having much fun using Neon with the last build of Rhino. Huge lag again rotating environment maps in GI Env. Having any adjustment in an env slot in a chrome material shows no effect.

It’s great for modeling but sure isn’t much use for setting up Brazil materials currently.

(Andrew le Bihan) #2

Paul

send me the file!

Andy

(John Brock) #3

Assigned Neon category

Andy.
File sent. Can anything be done to speed up env map rotations for Neon? Both Arion and Octane pluggins for Rhino have close to, if not real time updating while one rotates. It’s very fluid and very, very useful. I figure if they can do it then Neon should be able to.

(Andrew le Bihan) #5

OK - first things first. The GI environment will not be real-time because it does blurring, and that takes a while to calculate. In your case, I don’t think you really need the blurring because the original image is pretty indistinct.

The blurring now only affects reflection - Neon’s Skylight is smarter than Brazil’s, so in reality you don’t need the GI environment anymore.

If you switch to using a Basic Environment with that HDR it will be real time.

(Andrew le Bihan) #6

What’s more, with the latest builds of Rhino, you should find that the HDR azimuth spinner can be dragged and the environment will update in real time.

Thanks Andy.

I use the reflection blurring for good effect when setting up some metalic materials. I wish individual materials had the option to easily blur a material…I would stop using the GI Env for that purpose.

It’s very nice to see the realtime rotation ‘while’ rotating…this really helps very much! Glad you mentioned it.

I guess I can turn off all blurring in the GI Env to set the exact angle of reflection then turn it back on to fine tune the effect I am after. Sees turning off all blurring greatly speeds up the GI Env.

Hi Paul,

Do you mean like glossy reflections?

(Andrew le Bihan) #9

Yes - I guess so, but of course blurring the source image is quicker and less noisy than using glossy effects.

I like to be able to control the glossiness of env reflections (for specific mood looks) and then use raytraced inter-reflections between objects at what-ever settings I choose. I very seldom get asked to do photo-real work but very often asked to make something look hyper-real…especially in the reflections department. Having all of these tools is one of the reasons I use Brazil 90% of the time for my commercial work. It’s what attracted me to Brazil for 3D Max in the first place…it’s expanded control and toolset. And ability to make something look great with very little work. All very important under tight deadline.

Andy. Any idea when all of Brazil’s material properties will be hooked up into Neon?

(Andrew le Bihan) #12

We’re working on it. It’s taking a long while to get the latest tools from Caustic hooked up, but we’re getting there slowly.