Neon material repository

(Marc Gibeault) #1

Are there some materials to get started somewhere?
I found none installed with Rhino 5.

Hi Marc,

It just uses the basic Rhino renderer’s materials if that’s all you have for now. That’s sort of the point, it’s a souped-up raytraced render preview, not a “renderer” itself. To really see what it can do you can install the Brazil demo.

Regular Rhino materials should work fine.

If you would rather see Brazil materials, download the Brazil demo, install it, then set the renderer to Brazil. Now you can use Brazil materials in Neon.

I’m not sure how for they are in supporting Flamingo (/accurender) materials. I think that is one of their goals though.

(Marc Gibeault) #4

Hi Jim,
Yes I got that.
But There was none installed with Rhino. I just set up a new home computer and I expected a few basic ones with textures and such.

Yeah that’s not something there’s ever been for the basic renderer–well for anything from McNeel except Flamingo–it’s so basic you can’t do much with it anyway! There are some materials and links to environments on the Brazil site, I thought there had at one point been an effort to “translate” the Flamingo material library into Brazil but I don’t see where you can still find it.

(Andrew le Bihan) #6

Actually, there is a small material library that ships with Rhino 5. If Rhino rendere is current, it should open when you press the big “+” on the material editor.

(Andrew le Bihan) #7

And there’s also this one - a material library for Brazil which is currently unfinished. Also, it’s worth pointing out that since Neon support for Brazil materials is incomplete, many of these materials will not render properly in Neon.

(Marc Gibeault) #8

The folder that was shown when I used the Material editor the first time was empty.
And now it opens the last folder I used.

Aaah yes, the joys of Windows wanting to keep things “organised” for multiple users!

The default location (Win 7) for the included materials for Rhino is in a nice “easily discoverable” spot on your hard drive:
“C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0\Localization\en-US\Render Content”

If you like to keep your own stuff organised, you can copy all of those materials and textures to another, easier to remember location and change the default library path in options>Libraries>settings to suit that. I find this a lot easier to manage in general and particularly when moving computers or upgrading.

Cheers, Steve

(Marc Gibeault) #10

It’s a Windows 8 computer and it looks like they were not installed… I searched the C: drive with “*.rmtl” and nothing was found.

(Marc Gibeault) #11

Hi Andy,
The installer doesn’t work with my installation of Windows 8 x64. I extracted the files with 7zip but it didn’t preserve the forlder sructure I presume was there…

(Andrew le Bihan) #12

Marc

Is it possible that you have not installed the language pack? Was your Rhino installed remotely by a network admin?

• Andy

(Andrew le Bihan) #13

Without the original material library, the Brazil one will not install. You need to solve that problem first.

(Marc Gibeault) #14

It’s Windows 8 Pro in French and I installed Rhino with only the English language.

(Marc Gibeault) #15

So, can you give me some advice on how I could solve this problem?
Like where, in Windows 8 Pro x64 French, should this “original library” be?

Thanks

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0\Localization\fr-FR\Render Content

Check to see if you even have the “Localization” folder - in some case it fails to get installed, and all the subfolders are absent. That can provoke a number of problems. Have a look here for solutions : Incomplete Rhino 5.0 Install Without the Language Pack

HTH, --Mitch

(Marc Gibeault) #17

Thanks Mitch
I’ll try when the next SP will come out. Since it’s the same version number, I would have to un-install first.