Need suggestions on system configuration for rhino4 & rhino5

I am buying a new desktop with following configuration:-
Processor : Intel i3 4th generation
Motherboard: Asus motherboard
RAM: 8 GB Kingston hyperx DDR3
Hard Drive: seagate 1TB HHD
Graphic Card: Asus NVIDIA GT610-SL-2GD3-L 2 GB DDR3 Graphics Card
Is this configuration perfect for Rhino 5 & 4 and also for Matrix 7?
Any suggestions for graphic card?

Perfect, no. Usable, perhaps. Seems pretty underpowered for what is available today - I think Matrix may make more demands on the system than basic Rhino. Everything looks kind of weak, from the processor to the RAM to the graphics card… IMHO… --Mitch

Hi @abasandani, This sort of question has many answers depending on what type of Rhino work you intend to do on it, and also whether rendering will be required and if so which engine to be used.
My advice:…

1. CPU - If you have a high Clock speed i3 then Rhino itself should run well and have no bottlenecks caused by the cpu since a single core is normally used by Rhino itself anyway. So go for highest clock speed in the i3 range that suits your wallet.
  2. RAM - 8Gb Ok for normal use and If I watch my ram meter (16Gb on my Pc) it rarely goes over 8Gb used even when rendering in vray, but this is also relative to scene complexity etc. and I don’t use this PC for anything else like web browsing, email, at the same time.
  3. GPU - Here I would recommend something with abit more Oomph. Ignore the 2Gb ram on the GTX210, the card is way to underpowered to ever use all that ram efficiently. Its just marketing.
    Go for a GTX 640 or GTX 650 at least (If in your budget), otherwise use the GTX610 budget and buy a more powerful 2nd hand (Older generation) card. eg. A GTX460 was a good card and will beat a GTX610 anyday. As an example an old GTX460 has 10x the memory bandwidth and 7x The processing power of a GTX610. If the power supply to the GPU is an issue then even a GTX450 is 5x more GPU power than a GTX610 and uses about 100Watts.
    OK. My 1.99cents worth… Michael

Will any of these work

1. Asus NVIDIA GT610-SL-2GD3-L 2 GB DDR3 Graphics Card
  2. Asus NVIDIA GeForce 210 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card
  3. Gainward NVIDIA 2GB DDR3 GT610 2 GB DDR3 Graphics Card
  4. Asus NVIDIA GeForce 210 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card
  5. Asus NVIDIA GT610-SL-1GD3-L 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card

Hi @abasandani, Those cards are pretty much all equally bad. The 610 is probably abit better than a 210 but basically these cards were meant for ‘secretary’ machines, just to run windows (Aero on the 610 with dx11) and do web browsing. Thats about as much as they can handle.
Look at the series number and the model number in that series.
The 1st digit is the series number, eg. 210 = 200 series, 610 = 600 series (900 series is current series)
The 2nd and 3rd digit are the model number in that series:
So 10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80 is the normal model number range in each series.
So a 610 is the lowest model in the 600 series.
I wouldn’t consider a card for Rhino use which has a model number in any series lower than 50. eg. GTX650 or better would be good.
Also as a side note regarding performance of cards between series, it is a rough rule of thumb that with each series the same model number(eg. 50 ) outperforms or has the same performance as the previous series lower higher model number (eg. 60).
ie. So a GTX550ti has very similar performance to a GTX460
Or a GTX660 has very similar performance to a GTX570.
Newer series just consume less electricity for the same performance.
Hope that helps. Michael VS