Need help on modeling this lighting fixture

Gents,

Please see the two images below. Been having a hard time trying to figure this out… I’m doing a cove ceiling that is 8’-6" x 19’. And this lighting fixture should populate the whole cove ceiling.

Is there anyway to do this in grasshopper? Each individual pendant is at a different height, and vary slightly in shape. and of course, with the string.

Thanks.

Is each fixture made from 1 or 2 separate pieces?

Are there 0, 1, or 2 light sources in each fixture ?

I’ve got an idea on how to do it if the answers are 1 and 0 or 1.

Hi Birk.

I don’t think each pendant has two separate pieces. I guess it could be. And only 1 light sources in each pendant. Been struggling for a while. Waiting to be enlightened. Thanks man.

This is not pretty but it should give you the flexibility you need to make the shapes you want:

The Cluster is something I whomped up years ago to make star shapes. I use these shapes a lot for 3D printing. The cluster inputs can produce some weird results, so I’d suggest you disable the Scale component and just play with the cluster inputs to see what results.

The left hand GenePool controls the radii of the Loft’s control curves. I used a GenePool (not the friendliest GH component) because the radii needed 2 similar/identical numbers in the middle to make the connection between the top and bottom shapes. This enables the resulting Loft to be a single piece.

The second GenePool controls the height of each control curve. Moving the sliders around makes a big difference in the final shape, so the GenePool component is really wide to give better control. . Note that for this GenePool, each slider must have a higher value than the one below.

GraphMapper components might be an easier to use option than the GenePools, but I found that I would spend more time tweaking the GraphMapper control than I would just fussing with the GenePool sliders. You may have a different experience.

CeilingLamp.gh (21.0 KB)

1 Like

Thanks man. Let me test it out and get back to you. Really appreciate it.

Suggestion: add a pair of ‘Factor’ sliders to multiply all the values for each gene pool.

CeilingLamp_2023_Aug17a.gh (17.9 KB)

1 Like

Yes, I usually do that when I use this method myself. I left them out to make it simpler and quicker.

Once the shape is defined, it’s simpler and quicker to use the 'Factor" sliders. :slight_smile:

appreciate it Joseph. Really helpful.

Hi Birk, I took a look at your file, and it is way more advanced than what I can do now…thank you man. I wonder if there’s a way to populate it under a 8’-6 x 9’ ceiling. like each individual unit is at a different height, maybe they vary slightly in shape. I tried populate 3d, doesn’t really work…

thank you so much. let me test it out.

There are many different ways of doing that, such as Pop2D on the ceiling and random lengths for the drops.

Please don’t mark any of my replies here as the solution, this is @Birk_Binnard’s work, not mine.

1 Like

I had never seen the Gene pool sliders. That is a sweet component!

Since I am a 3D printing hobbyist and definitely not an architect I was going to suggest something like Joseph’s solution to you. His methods are always more elegant than the ones I come up with, so I’m happy that he responded to you first.

In my earlier response I was focused on only the shape of the lights. The method I showed has a significant problem: how to actually make the shape. It would be difficult to do it via standard 3D printing (lots of supports are required), and the narrow connection between the top and bottom parts would likely not survive the standard 3D printing process anyway.

A good glass blower (it would actually have to be a team of at least 2) could make the shapes you showed, but this presents a whole other set of issues to deal with. The image you showed looks real, but of course it could be just a rendering. If it is real it would be nice to know how those lights were made, and what they are made of.

This is an example of a way to do drop lighting with assorted shapes. I used four standard GH geometries instead of Birk’s star shapes. Replacing them is relatively easy, just remove the wires from Scale ‘G’ output and connect them to your list of shapes instead.

Graph Mapper is used to get a list of string lengths based on each point’s distance from the center.

drop_lights_2023Aug18a.gh (25.0 KB)

Again, please don’t mark this post or any of mine in this thread as the “Solution”. That is Birk’s.