Need emailed warnings on bugs causing problems in future versions?

Hi,
Having fallen foul of what I am told is a bug in V5, the sort of bug that has vast consequences throughout all projects, should such a bug be warned by email to all owners of version X to avoid them experiencing spending days fixing the consequences when opening into version Y ?

I propose such happens for such consequential bugs,not all bugs, but such as the one I have causing mayhem in ALL projects… If one buys a car and its production batch is found to potentially burst into flames, owners get a recall.

They may not see a thread on it, but being a paid up owner surely its right to be informed.

In my case…
I have to alter ALL my dimension styles in V5 projects prior to opening them into V7 and most of my years of V5 work continues in V7,
The V5 bug was dims styles were in Model Space Scale 10, I didnt spot that , thinking it was as intended, it sees me now have to alter ALL the dimension styles (and I have many) in one project to 1:1 scale and all the assoc numbers in properties for arrow length, height, text gap and so on, per style, before opening into V7, else the dims and arrows vanish. A LOT OF WORK.

One email would have saved weeks of headaches sussing this as well as sorting out why V7 is also 1:10 scale !.

Steve

No… not all that much work. As posted previously:

In V5:

Open in V7 (model space scale is still 10):

Change model space scale to 1 (dimensions get tiny):

Scale all sizes by 10:

Click OK to set (doesn’t update until you do):

Yes, you do need to do this for all dimension styles and templates, it might take a few hours, but not months. This can probably be scripted…

Hi,
I am doing that not on opened files but on templates, I am altering my 1:10 dims in V7 (not sure why and how all templates have become 1:10) to 1:1, so that anything I make starting in V7 is with 1:1 dims. else I am starting out BAD again.

I also need to alter any V5 styles, so its as long as its short as they say, I intend to alter the styles in V5 to 1:1 rather than open the file then edit.

I have a feeling that opening a V5 into V7 caused all templates to go to 1:10 ! or perhaps I macde them all 1:10 ?

so to avoid that happening after I have spent hours fixing them all, I am fixing V5 at source in that manner you show !

As such its A LOT OF WORK esp when 6 months on I havent started work yet thanks to this and other things, I had spent an entire week making correct or so I thought all templates in V7, only now to have to redo all again.

I must avoid V7 taking on 1:10 scale again. had I in fact edited them all to 1:10 following what I saw in V5, perhaps !

AS I SAY IF WE HAD RECEIVED EMAIL OF THAT BUG THEN ALL THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED.

If there are 15 templates and I have 14 styles thats 210 styles to edit.

As per other post I need a way of editing a style once and having it update in all 15 templates.
repeat for next style etc. until all 14 are done. HOW ?

and please Mcneel email us on such nasties.

Steve

That is not the case here - if model scale in a file was 1 in V5, it remains so in V7. If it was 10 in V5, it remains so in V7.

Sorry, I don’t believe it is a bug, it’s just the way some of the dimension styles were set up more than 10 years ago back in 2012 when V5 came out… It hasn’t changed all that much in V7, but the ‘Default’ style - the only one that had model space 1 in V5 - is no longer there in V7. All the other styles that have the same names as their V5 equivalents still have the same model scales applied in V7.

Set up one template with no geometry in it but adjust your dimension styles the way you want. Save it as a normal file with some name on your desktop Then in your other templates run ImportAnnotationStyles, browse to the file on your desktop and when it asks you to overwrite, answer yes. It will replace all the original annotation styles in the template with the ones from your fil on the desktop. Then resave the template.

1 Like

That is not the case here - if model scale in a file was 1 in V5, it remains so in V7. If it was 10 in V5, it remains so in V7.

But yes, it was 10 in V5, and opening it all V7 became 10 ! (it seems)

So I wish to avoid that undoing all my remakes to MSS 1 again.

Sorry, I don’t believe it is a bug, it’s just the way some of the dimension styles were set up more than 10 years ago back in 2012 when V5 came out… It hasn’t changed all that much in V7, but the ‘Default’ style - the only one that had model space 1 in V5 - is no longer there in V7. All the other styles that have the same names as their V5 equivalents still have the same model scales applied in V7.

Someone in thread on it said it was a bug, so I get that from them. (Pascal I think)

Look at the problems it caused. I have yet to get operational.

All the other styles that have the same names as their V5 equivalents still have the same model scales applied in V7.

OMG I am having to make V7 MSS 1, I am told by Jeremy MSS is 1, I see it as such in someones post in their printscreen, I am now getting chars at heights I use, I need to open V5 MSS1 into V7 MSS1 and see if my 0.1nch chars etc appear as such. HOPE SO … If I start undoing V7 MSS1 back to 10, when I was told it should be 1 …I am being batted about back and forth on this. so V5 MSS10 if same name style in V7 should be MSS10 in V7. This is too confusing.

Set up one template with no geometry in it but adjust your dimension styles the way you want. Save it as a normal file with some name on your desktop Then in your other templates run ImportAnnotationStyles, browse to the file on your desktop and when it asks you to overwrite, answer yes. It will replace all the original annotation styles in the template with the ones from your fil on the desktop. Then resave the template.

WOW thats all I need to know, FANTASTIC. days saved.
MEGA THANKS
just hope V5 into V7 testing goes ok now.

needs to go into the other post.

Steve