Near snap on surface edge?

One Shot Near is a workaround in my case. But it takes like 40 cm of mouse movement.

Center snap is so strong it disables Near snap? Weird.

Why is there a Near snap on some surfaces but not on others?

In the file attached there’s a green trimmed surface where Near snap works if the mouse is outside the surface. Once the mouse is inside, you get Center snap.

The red surface is an untrimmed square. There is no Near snap option on this one. No matter where the mouse is. That doesn’t make any sense.

20_02_04_osnap_issue.3dm (70.4 KB)

PS: Unfortunately I’m unable to record a screen video where the context (Near/Cen) is visible.

Near works here on both of those surfaces here to snap to the edges… Note that Near only snaps to curve type objects (curves and surface edges) - it does not snap to surfaces or meshes. For snapping ‘somewhere’ on a surface other than the edges, you need the OnSurface object snap (persistent or one shot).

You could also set a short cut to toggle the osnap if your having issues.

God to properties>Keyboard. Select a short cut you like and enter _Osnap Center Enter. That’s all you need to do.

not looking for workarounds

getting closer…

why can you Near snap on the red, rectangular surface and I can’t?

Hi Martin - are you looking for the edges of the red surface with Near? That does work here…

-Pascal

1 Like

Yes I’m wondering why it works for you and not for me? It’s exactly the same situation in Rhino 5. Whenever I’m outside the circular shape I can Near snap. On the square I only get Center snaps…

Hi Pascal - that doesn’t work for me either. Note that the Center Osnap needs to be on when testing this.
-wim

Got it now - sorry. Yes, that seems wrong…

-Pascal

I’ll file that…
-w

Filed as RH-56862

1 Like

Yes, center is definitely too strong - and has been for a looong time… I’ve been complaining about this and other osnap “strengths” many times, but McNeel doesn’t seem to agree :sunglasses:

Philip

Hi Philip - over time there have been lots (and lots) of tweaks to the strength of the Center snap.
In the case of the rectangle, there’s something wrong, obviously. But if you run into other cases that still seem wrong, just send them along!
-wim

1 Like

I see… It’s obviously a difficult problem then. There are other problems with osnaps as well. “Perpendicular” is another one, for instance.

This would be my list (once again :wink:) for the strengths of overlapping osnaps - from the strongest to the weakest: point, end, mid, quad, vertex, int, tan, center, perp.

Philip

Is there any chance the ability to change the snap weights can be given to us for R7?

I’ve suggested that too - but I think it would be better if we could manage without adding more settings. Rhino already has too many ‘buttons’…

Philip

Hi - I agree with @Philip here - I really don’t think that adding a bunch of settings is the way to go.

Mikko already fixed the issue with snapping to the edges of a plane and I’ll test that when a new internal version is ready.

When you have an example of something that doesn’t work, please post that here so that we can take a look. So, Philip, please post a simple example where Perp isn’t working for you.
-wim

Oh, perp is working alright - I actually meant that perp (like cen) is too strong compared to mid, for instance. I’ll send a simple file when I get this stuff done, that I’m working on right now.

Philip

… and of course I’m not able to create a simple file that would show the behaviour I’m talking about. However… the symptom is this: If you have two almost parallel (but not quite) lines in 3D-space and are trying to draw a line from the midpoint of one of the lines to the midpoint of the second line it might be hard to ‘find’ the midpoint osnap. Instead I often get Perp or Int - or both - but not Mid.

If Mid would be stronger than both Int and Perp (as in the list I suggested) the problem would be solved, I think.

Philip

RH-56862 is fixed in the latest WIP

1 Like

Thank you, this works just as expected now!