Native light performance in neon

they are so dim!

is there any way they could start twice as bright and then be dialed back? OR can I change the sensitivity of the camera?

also, as a side note it seems like point lights have directionality.

It looks like you have placed the lights inside the spheres… and Neon doesn’t support the “don’t cast shadows” object option, so that might be it.
It should help to set the light object material to 100% transparent and add an emission color to it to get some of that glowing effect.
Or use Brazil with an emitting material there.

no lights in those globes, but they are transparent and emissive.

I mean, at least on the camera sensitivity question, can I get something?

That’s not going to work without Brazil installed. You can make them “look” like they’re lit up but they’re not actually going to emit light.

yes, I know. That’s not really what I’m asking about, I get how emissive materials work. I was just acknowledging Holo’s question.

I’m asking for spotlights to either start brighter, or be adjustable to a greater intensity OR for a camera sensitivity control.

(Brian James) #8

Hi Aaron,

The camera in default Rhino doesn’t have iso or fstop control and this functionality is found in rendering plugins instead. Spot lights are also capped at an intensity of 100% in the default Rhino Renderer which also lacks indirect illumination to add bounces to the cast light. So here’s the best suggestion I have other than trying a render plugin like Maxwell, Brazil, Vray or Octane…
Reduce the shadow intensity for the spot in object properties>light when it’s selected. Then turn on the skylight in the Sun panel and add a basic environment. The environment color will control the skylight intensity so a dark grey will be best with many spot lights in the model, this combined with the shadow intensity being lessened for the spot(s) will brighten the scene.

Don’t forget Arion 4 Rhino.

for architectural interiors? @PaulS

Sure, why not. Here’s a gallery of some great images rendered in Arion.

http://www.randomcontrol.com/gallery-indoor

Hah… that’s one of the most convincing galleries I have seen to date…
And it is a great example for why McNeel should toss out most things less than extraordinary from their galleries and be better at name dropping. When I click on “Galleries” I expect to see the best of the best from all genres. And when I click on “Architecture” I expect to see top notch stuff at the front page. Modern and advanced digital fabrication, great renderings and the stuff that dreams are made of. With quotations on why and how Rhino is a great tool.

My experience is that people really want to know these things:
1- How well can the tools perform in the hands of masters.
2- How much time and focus do one need to invest to become a master.
3- And finally what results can one expect with little time and knowledge.

I want Arion now… even though I have Maxwell and even though I don’t do interior renderings :smile:

Arion is a wonderful rendering engine…and not just suited to Architecture. Very, very simple to use and the StandAlone version now supports HDRLS.

What is HDRLS ? I googled it and got no results.
Is this your private acronym for HDR Light Studio? :smile:

Yes, you are correct - HDR Light Studio. Sorry. I had seen it used as HDRLS elsewhere and assumed it was commonly used like that.

I agree with you about Rhino’s galleries. Maybe we need to send in more pictures!!

As to this Arion stuff, the daylit interior look lovely but the artificially lit interiors are not impressive. The light looks canned and flat. Considering my inquiry I wouldn’t say I’m all that convinced. Maxwell is the only software I’ve ever seen produce convincing and complex artificially lit interiors (maybe v-ray too but SO plasticy).