Named cplane and how to orient to top view

Hi All, I’ve put a picture in at 37 degrees to normal top view. Set. Up a named cplane to be aligned with picture. How do I get top view to be parallel with picture and named cplane? Thank you, Mark

Hi Mark, the _Plan command does that.

Oh great, so easy and thanks!

I am guessing there aren’t many other cad forums that can respond like this one

SetView CPlane Top

This can’t be done via the menus?

I know there’s a button to switch “modes”, but it doesn’t seem many features respect the currently active named CPlane…

Hi Robert -

I’m not understanding which problem you are trying to solve. What are “manu features”?
-wim

Sorry, I misspelled, but fixed it now. :slight_smile:

Well, here’s one example, and again, the thing in this topic seems to only be available via a command line function, not the menus? Or am I not clicking the right combination of things perhaps?

Even if I choose the “Right” view, select my named CPlane and then do “SetView CPlane Right”, I’m able to rotate the view with my SpaceNavigator… :frowning: the “regular” Right view is locked to right, and I can only zoom in and out (which is the way it should be).

One major problem with the '_4View command (to me, at least) is that it will remove the CPlane. I primarily use that command to switch to the default perspective view, but one thing that I don’t like is that it also sets the default CPlane, as well. In this case, if the custom CPlane was not preliminary saved, it gets lost. Running the _CPlane _Undo command afterwards returns the following message" “No CPlane to undo”.

Yes - 4View is too powerful right now - it used to require two shots of 4View in a row to reset CPlanes and clipping planes. I’ll see if we can fix this, it seems wrong to me.
RH-65722 4View: too much power

-Pascal

3 Likes

I think that it should reset the viewports only, because there is already a dedicated command for resetting the CPlane to the World coordinates: '_CPlane _World _Top :slight_smile:

4View should take two consecutive runs of the command to reset cplanes etc,. One shot should only re-arrange the viewports and the cameras (as in V5).
@Rhino_Bulgaria - actually I am wrong - it is not the running twice in a row that does it, it is whether the views are in their default arrangement - if they are, then the Cplane is reset. This is by design, and makes sense, though, as we see, potentially confusing. I do not know, yet, if there is a way to reset that default view - SetView World Perspective only does part of the job. Saving a named view in a template file might be the way, for now.

-Pascal

I always try to remember to save my custom Cplanes, so it’s not a huge issue for me when the '_4View command resets the CPlane, but sometimes I just forget that it resets the CPlane back to the default and move objects in the wrong direction thinking that my CPlane is still active. :slight_smile:

@Rhino_Bulgaria - Dale Fugier made you a script!

SetDefaultPerspectiveView_DaleF.py (545 Bytes)

To use the Python script use RunPythonScript, or a macro:

_-RunPythonScript "Full path to py file inside double-quotes"

-Pascal

1 Like

Hi Pascal, I had a chance to try the script you posted above and it works wonderfully. :slight_smile: Thanks!
I also added “ZEA” (without the commas) after the script, so that now it will zoom extend all objects in the scene as the default zoom was too close. Great job! :slight_smile:

That is @dale 's script. Glad it works!

-Pascal

1 Like

Ah, yes, many thanks to Dale as well! Many people already mentioned that before, and I will repeat that I do like this friendly community and the way we have a direct communications with the Rhino developers who actively help the user base. :slight_smile: