Name of this component, please!

I have just found a photo with this element on it, on this forum. What is it exactly? It’s in the form of a pill and is connected to the block above via a dashed line. Thank you in advance!

It is a timer

Thank you for the fast response! I presume the dotted lines mean the same thing as this:

Yes it represents a link to a component

Timer Object

Timers are object which fire update events at specified intervals. This process is reasonably dangerous since updates might occur when you do not expect them, so please be careful when using them, and only use a timer when you have no other option.

By default a new timer enabled, but inactive as it is isolated. You can enable/disable a timer by double clicking on the object or via the context menu. However, enabling a timer is no guarantee that it will fire update events.

First, there is a global Timer Abort which has the power to disable all timers in Grasshopper. Whenever a timer is enabled for the first time, the Global Abort will appear in the Windows notification bar. When the icon is green, it means the Global Abort is off and timers are allowed to fire events. When the icon is red, all timers are blocked. Blocked timers are displayed with a red icon instead of the timer icon on the canvas. Double clicking on the notification icon on the windows taskbar will toggle the Global Abort state.

Secondly, timers only fire events when they can make a difference. Before a timer will tell Grasshopper to recompute the solution it will blank certain objects. These are called the targets of the timer object. You can add a target to a timer by click+dragging from the arrow area to the right of the timer. Drag the wire onto another object, and it will be added to the target list. You can remove objects from the target list by tracing over an existing target wire while holding the Control key.

1 Like

Also, since I see it is connected to a Kangaroo component - I should point out it is a very old version of kangaroo here - it doesn’t need a timer now, and if you are trying to recreate something with kangaroo you’ve seen in an old video, it would probably be better to describe what you want to do and I’ll try and point you to an example of how to achieve it in the current version.

Thanks for the additional assistance, Daniel! I am using the ‘KangarooPhysics’ and ‘SpringLine’ commands which don’t seem to have an equal component in Kangaroo2, so I therefore downgraded and chose to use version 1. Would you have any suggestions to fix this or know of the alternatives in the newest version of Kangaroo? Thank you!

The equivalents are ‘solver’ and ‘length’. There are lots of examples here

1 Like

Thank you! I will try that :slight_smile: Appreciate your help!