My rhino 6 crashes with no particular reason

Hi All,

my rhino 6 always crashes in random timing, I would like to solve this problem…

Rhino 6 SR17 2019-8-23 (Rhino 6, 6.17.19235.15041, Git hash:master @ 06b69c5cc21d880aa793a5a7cfd454a66f6213bb)
License type: Educational, build 2019-08-23
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Chi Chun Tang ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-IT1M95B

Hybrid graphics system.
Primary display: Intel® HD Graphics 520 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 8-23-2019 (M-D-Y).
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M (NVidia) Memory: 2GB, Driver date: 9-5-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 436.30

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 9-5-2019
Driver Version: 26.21.14.3630
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 2 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

I don’t see anything in that system info report that stands out as a problem.
The only thing that seems off is how little VRAM you have. For V6, you really need 4 GB VRAM for each standard resolution monitor, or 8 GB for each high resolution monitor. Low VRAM shouldn’t cause crashing but it will limit performance.

How many monitors are you driving and at what resolution?
Are you using a docking station?

Hi I am just driving the monitor of the laptop (1) in a resolution of 3000X2000
no docking station is used.

Is there any pattern that correlates with the crashing?
Is there something you can do that is likely to cause the crash?

When you say “crash”, is the Rhino crash reporting system coming up asking for your email address and a description of what you were doing at the time Rhino crashed, or does Rhino freeze up and become unresponsive?

How many Instances of Rhino do you have running at one time?

Do you store your files locally or on an external device?

no pattern at all. anytime. 3D view is more. but sometime only 2D drawing make it crashed

And rhino freeze up with no response.

Instance mean the CAD block? if so , many around 20-30 in my rhino file.

I store locally linked up with dropbox

Sorry, I’m out of ideas.
We’ve covered everything I can think of.
I don’t know what else to suggest, other than save your file regularly so you don’t lose much work.
Hopefully some pattern will emerge that will eventually point in a direction to what might be going on.

Hello - please try working with the same files in a completely local folder, not synced to anything - is that the same?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

I tried. And it was getting better ( Rhino 6 worked well for maybe 6 hour ) but after that, the file keep crashing again…

now i restart my surface book and see whether it related with the operating time of laptop.

Are you running an original Book or a Book 2? I have been running Rhino on the former without problems since it came out, but my graphics drivers are older than yours.

Hi Jeremy, I am using the surface book 1.

May I ask whether you have problem with the surface book?

my first surface book has problem in one year and afterwards, I have replaced this with microsoft for 6 times ( every replacement piece cannot work for more than 3 months, I hate Microsoft now)

my previous one also have no problem with Rhino 6
now i have another replaced one. It is ok for other software but just Rhino 6 keeps crashing…

That’s why I am not sure it is software or hardware problem.

Hi,

Sorry that you have had such a bad time with the Surface Book. I have been really happy with mine, although I don’t undock the screen from the keyboard so can’t comment on that aspect. Aside from Rhino, I have MS Office, Adobe CS6, Visual Studio, Maxwell Render, and various tools from Atlassian, Sparx, Oracle and others installed, along with Bitdefender AV. I often have to add and remove clients’ VPNs too. So the machine gets a good workout. I don’t run any games and I let Windows Update do its thing.

Hi everyone, I still have no luck on this.

and when it started to crash. the crashing time is quite frequent.

sometimes it did not crashed for few hour

so this is the only pattern I have…

I see that your Book is the one with the mid-life graphics update, so it is later than mine and uses different drivers. Have you seen this Dell-related thread: Rhino continues to crash [SOLVED]. That was a hybrid graphics system and bypassing the Dell Intel graphics drivers apparently solved the problem.

Jeremy

Do you get a dialogue asking about sending a crash dump to McNeel when Rhino crashes? Or do you see a RhinoCrashDump.dmp file on your desktop? If you send a dump report to Rhino tech support they can narrow down the cause.

Jeremy

tech@mcneel.com

1 Like

@tangccbm - please let us know if you get this crash report dialog - if so please fill out the description with as much detail as you can and send it in.

-Pascal

1 Like