My macro-hack to toggle between SubD and lowPoly modes

Hi All,

I cannot do much modeling on SubD yet, but even to do basic edits I really need to have a way to toggle between Low Poly and SubD.

I made a left-right button that works with either: a preselection of SubD to convert to Poly (LMB), or preselection of Poly to convert to SubD (RMB).

Here’s a video showing how it works.

I needed to add one _Pause to the LMB Macro in case you have a single item, so it can temporarily group to itself.

SubD to Poly:

_NoEcho
_SetRedrawOff
_Group
_Pause
_Enter
_SetGroupName
SubD_to_Poly_Toggle_Group
_-ExtractControlPolygon
outputLayer=Input
_SelLast
_RemoveFromGroup
_Group
_SetGroupName
Extracted_Poly_Toggle_Group
_SelNone
_-SelGroup
SubD_to_Poly_Toggle_Group
_Delete
_-SelGroup
Extracted_Poly_Toggle_Group
_Ungroup
_SetRedrawOn

Poly to SubD:
_NoEcho
_-ToSubD
Creases=No Corners=Yes DeleteInput=Yes InterpolateMeshPoints=No
_Enter

I’d love to see a evolved scripted version of this if someone wants to take a stab at it.

G

1 Like

I went the gh route since subd is now exposed in rhinocommon.

I reference the mesh and then it’s just a one liner in a ghpython component:

a = Rhino.Geometry.Subd.CreateFromMesh(x)

This is visually very similar to modelling in blender with subD modifier

Thanks for posting these work arounds. I’ve added this thread to the open feature request for this here https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-41693 to help the developers understand what’s needed.

Hi Gustavo,
i tried it and doesn`t really work with closed srf! Somehow makes a bug…
no idea …

Hi Julian - in the current WIP, just hit the Tab key to toggle between the creamy (smooth) and crunchy (boxed) display modes of SubD surfaces.
-wim

2 Likes

Ah yes, the Tab key to toggle between box mode and smooth mode. That is very nice.:+1:

thx Wim, very helpful

Sorry Julian, most of my macros and script collections are just a form of activism. So McNeel eventually has to get the real typists here and to their fine craft.

So my job is done for this tool. Moving to the next one now…

G