My idea of making Planar Quad mesh for convex sections

Hello,

My name is Jaeman PARK, also known as the developer of the Rhino 5 plug-in “Jamparc”.
Now I made a Youtube channel and uploaded some videos to show that Grasshopper can be used as a good scripting tool for kids.

By the way, it was not easy to make those movies without architectural tutorials… :slight_smile:
Today I uploaded new movie about PQ mesh. I had found this way of making PQ mesh with convex sections in 2010. After 10 years, finally I could explain this solution in English.
For someone, this solution might not be new. But I’m sure that this was my original idea in 2010. Haha.

Thanks for watching this video and subscribing my channel.

Best regards,

Jamparc.

3 Likes

Well done and quite clear! Have you given any thought of how to provide these planes with an actual thickness and mitering, so they can be assembled?

Dear Ethan,
This solution is optimized for the specific type of complex geometries. I used the extreme example to show that it always works if the geometry is under the proper conditions.
The size and the regularity of panels can be controlled by density(numbers of panels), but it’s obvious that the simple convex volume will produce more regular panels.
If it is a shell structure, then the node design can be simple because always 4 lines are connected at single points.
If it is a tower, then the continuous curtain wall might be difficult to be applied. So I recommend floor-to-floor(window wall) curtain wall system.
You can see the next video sooner or later, after subscribing my channel. Thanks!

Best regards,

Jamparc.

You sly fox! Great video. :wink: