Multipanel Facade unroll "layflat"

Hi Guys.

I can not seem to get my head around this problem. I have a facade that already broken down into panels by the architects. I need to generate a Voronoi type pattern for the facade panels, That’s not a problem.

Here is the problem. For the graphics department to give me an image that runs across all the facades I need an unrolled copy of the facade. so that they can map it and make sure it is correctly aligned.

apart from the workflow to get all of this done (open for suggestions) can someone please help me with a script to unroll the panels to the XY plane and keep their relation to each other.

The sample in the file attached was done manually in rhino with make2d but that still only gives one side elevation and won’t help for the curved parts on the facade. 2019_07_10_Panels Srf Extraction.gh (34.0 KB)

Facade Layflat.3dm (3.1 MB)

While I’m at it. what do you think would be best,

A: Do the Voronoi on the individual elevations as a whole, like east and west and north and south all separate and then do a boolean to get the panels - this way the image for sampling does not have to be broken in to panel size images. but the processing might kill the pc.

B: Break the images down and sample each panel individually. This will take some coordination but I was hoping to be able to do it with a python script. the problem being the image sampler component does not allow for file path input(that I know of) and I am nowhere near competent enough to script a images sampler to do that

any help will be appreciated

are you the fabricator? do you have details of the panel? its joint connections, head, sill and jambs?

I think i can help you with this but will take me a few days (lots of work work to do this week)

Hi Rickson.

I am not the fabricator. I just have to do the patterning on the panels or the scripting thereof. I can get the mullions, and jambs and head and sill. I got to a point where I managed to lay the panels flat with the orientate command in grasshopper.

I appreciate the help but I don’t want you to spend a day on my stuff. I need to learn to do It my self. If you have advice on the workflow I would appreciate it

I thinks its FlowAlongSrf where you can exchange info from identical planar surface to the a 3D surface of the same UV coordinates. There are a bunch of threads on the old from about mapping curves to surfaces.

Thanks. I ment more like. how do would you go about the project. break the images down in to panel sizes and then do them indevidually or do the facade as a whole and then split the panels out.

I think the second method migth be the better one

generate curves from the image (rooster) on said flat surface, pull curves to the individual panel surfaces to generate fabrication, transfer to the 3D for looks – roughly speaking.

flowalongsurf.3dm (70.7 KB)

a quick version in rhino, the 3D surface was unrolled to 2D, curves pulled to panel surfaces, then flowalongsurfaced to the 3D

it makes sense, though it’d be of help to look at whatever original, preferably 4-sided untrimmed surface you were using prior to paneling.

In your model all we get are thickened pieces:

for this simple example I made a fake (untrimmed) ‘original’:

so I default into recommending lunchbox or bullant plugins for quick solutions, though there’s also ‘map curve to surface’ component that should map all fine if you construct an unrolled version :slight_smile:
2019_07_10_Panels Srf Extraction.gh (53.6 KB)

[edit] for your A & B questions, depends on what you choose to do…for fabrication I usually leave booleans until the end as much as I can given they’re slow and faulty - sticking to points and curves always helps with speed.

You can also look into surface morph before paneling like in here:

Best

Thank you

Thank you so much, This is why I love this community so much. I really appriciate your efforts. 2019_07_10_Panels Srf Extraction.gh (44.3 KB) So this is the long around I used before enlightenment.
:grinning:
The bullant component will do the trick