Multi-Save loop

I don’t know what causes it… doesn’t seem to happen all the time… but it’s quite irritating!

I noticed the same bug a few weeks back, and nobody cared to reply to my thread, so don’t expect much. :wink:

Weird. I haven’t seen this one. Looks very annoying.

@curtisw any ideas here? I’m drawing a blank.

Happens to me as well!

Is there a specific GH file that will always cause this?
A specific workflow?
-wim

I think it’s related to having multiple rhino windows open and switching between grasshopper sessions? I will try to discern more patterns.

1 Like

Hm, I haven’t seen this problem before but it certainly does look annoying. I’ve created an issue here RH-57116 to take a look at it. My guess is some close or activate events are firing differently than before.

@andheum if you figure out how to reliably reproduce it please let me know.

1 Like

Look at my description in the link above that I posted weeks ago and where I describe in detail when it usually happens! It seems to correlate with having multple Rhino/Grasshopper sessions open.

Hey @andheum and @diff-arch-

Curtis committed some fixes for this issue recently. The fixes aren’t in an official build just yet, but since I can’t seem to reproduce this issue reliably, I thought perhaps you two could use test with this dujour build and see if the bug is fixed or not.

Any better?
-Dan

A post was split to a new topic: Is Grasshopper a separate process?

Hey @dan,

Unfortunately, this issue still pops up from time to time, although it was noted to be fixed in the release notes of the latest update. I just encountered it!
I had a Rhino document with Grasshopper open, then opened a second Grasshopper file, by double-clicking it in Finder, which launches another empty Rhino document and opens Grasshopper. After that I closed the first document and the Grasshopper save loop happened!

Thanks for letting us know. Just to be absolutely certain we’re testing in the same spot, what is the full version number in which you’re still experiencing the bug? (6.25.20114.03572?)

Yes, Version 6 (6.25.20114.03572, 2020-04-23)! Thanks.

@wim Can you please attempt to reproduce this issue? Perhaps something about opening the second Grasshopper document from Finder.

@dan - FWIW, I was able to reproduce this but need to spend more time to try and nail down a work-flow that is both necessary and sufficient…
-wim

This issue was filed as RH-58667

2 Likes

Nice! That’s good news. I know how that goes.

Is there any update/fix for this by now? It is still occuring for me.
It is very unnerving that I cant be sure if the file was saved. Some workshop participants on mac have also reported, that the file was saved-over with a previous version and was not recoverable when hitting save during the save-loop. I was not able to reproduce this behaviour. Is there a best-practice advice on how to avoid this?

GH on mac is very unintuitive in terms of opening windows and having multiple Rhino+gh files open at the same time. It is not clear what is currently open, and what has been saved.

Hi Robin -

RH-58667 was fixed and tested, yes.

Could you please attach your Rhino SystemInfo and the necessary steps to reproduce the issue on your machine?
-wim

Hey @dan + @wim — this is still a problem with the latest version of mac rhino (7.2.21012.11002, 2021-01-12), but I think I finally have a consistently reproducible case on my machine:

1. open rhino, “new model”
  2. start grasshopper
  3. open a grasshopper script
  4. open a saved rhino file
  5. try to close the empty rhino file you started with

With this sequence, it consistently asks me no fewer than 8 times if I want to save my grasshopper file.

Hope this is helpful.

SystemInfo just in case:
Rhino 7 SR2 2021-1-12 (Rhino 7, 7.2.21012.11002, Git hash:master @ 2f08cf516ffc716c4c4a369abf7625798ef79bca)
License type: Commercial, build 2021-01-12
License details: Cloud Zoo

Apple Intel 64-bit macOS Version 11.1 (Build 20C69) (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Mac Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,1
Language: en-US (MacOS default)

AMD Radeon Pro 5300M OpenGL Engine (OpenGL ver:4.1 ATI-4.2.13)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.1
Shading Language: 4.10
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: n/a
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5300M
Displays: Color LCD (264dpi 2x), LED Cinema Display (109dpi 1x)

Graphics processors
Intel UHD Graphics 630 (1536 MB)
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M (4 GB)
Color LCD (1792 x 1120 @ 59.00Hz)
LED Cinema Display (2560 x 1440)

USB devices
Western Digital: Elements 2621
Blue Microphones: Yeti Stereo Microphone
Apple Inc.: Apple LED Cinema Display
Apple Inc.: Display iSight
Apple Inc.: Display Audio
Apple: composite_device
Apple Inc.: Touch Bar Backlight
Apple Inc.: Touch Bar Display
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple: Headset
Apple Inc.: Ambient Light Sensor
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Apple Inc.: Apple T2 Controller

Bluetooth devices
Broadcom: Magic Keyboard

Third party kernel extensions
None

Third party plugins
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftAppKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCloudKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftContacts.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCore.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreData.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreFoundation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreGraphics.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreImage.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreLocation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDarwin.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDispatch.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftFoundation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftIOKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftMetal.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftObjectiveC.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftQuartzCore.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftUniformTypeIdentifiers.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftXPC.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftos.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftsimd.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftAccelerate.dylib
/usr/lib/log/liblog_network.dylib

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots” 7.2.21012.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools” 7.2.21012.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhMaterialEditor.framework “Renderer Development Kit” 7.2.21012.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/Displacement.rhp “Displacement” 7.2.21012.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render” 7.2.21012.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.2.21012.11002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Import_OBJ.rhp “Import_OBJ” 7.2.21012.11002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/export_XAML.rhp “export_xaml” 7.2.21012.11002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/QuadRemesh.rhp “QuadRemesh” 7.2.21012.11002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Export_OBJ.rhp “export_OBJ” 7.2.21012.11002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RDK_EtoUI.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.2.21012.11002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/export_SVG.rhp “Export SVG” 7.2.21012.11002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/MeshCommands.rhp “MeshCommands” 7.2.21012.11002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Export_DAE.rhp “Export_DAE” 7.2.21012.11002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/export_PDF.rhp “PDF Export” 7.2.21012.11002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/export_IGES.rhp “IGES Export Plug-in” 7.2.21012.11002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Import_SVG.rhp “Import_SVG” 7.2.21012.11002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/BlockEdit.rhp “BlockEdit” 7.2.21012.11002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Export_AMF.rhp “Export_AMF” 7.2.21012.11002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.2.21012.11002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/import_DST.rhp “Import_DST” 7.2.21012.11002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/export_PLY.rhp “PLY - Polygon File Format Export” 7.2.21012.11002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Import_AMF.rhp “Import_AMF” 7.2.21012.11002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.2.21012.11002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 7.2.21012.11002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 7.2.21012.11002

Sad. :frowning: