Moving components from one rhino design file to another

Is there a simple way to move a few pieces from one of my rhino files to another?

Ctrl + C (copy) then Ctrl + V (paste in the new session).

Which is also handy when you realize you should not have deleted this or that object 25 steps ago, just roll back 25 steps, CTRL+C, roll forward 25 steps, CTRL+V and presto, object resuscitated :slight_smile:

Max.

1 Like

Thanks!

This was the best trick I always use since a colleague hinted me at it.

BUT: don’t close that Rhino file!!!

Oh, but you can! This is one of the particularly cool thing about macOS’s Versions feature.

Say you deleted an object yesterday and you just want that object. You’ve closed Rhino and the Undo/Redo stack is gone. No problem. You can go to File > Revert To > Browse All Versions. Now, here the name “Revert To” is a little misleading in this context. When the Versions explorer opens up the two side-by-side Rhino windows, you can rewind the old file (the one on the right) to when you still had the object you want to retrieve (“undelete”). Notice that the old version of Rhino is actually a live version of Rhino…you can go in, select the object, Copy it, and paste into the current version…then hit “Done.” You’ve got your old object back, but in your current file.

adding to what dan outlined…

with sierra and desktop/document syncing, you can now do this between different computers… as in, i could of deleted an object in a rhino file 2 weeks ago on my desktop then, using my laptop, open that file and retrieve the object… (or just revert to that point in the history etc… also of note, if you do Revert instead of just copy, your most current version isn’t now deleted… it’s still in the history as well)

pretty awesome though the real benefit for me personally is that i’m not doing any sort of file management/transfers to make this happen… it’s now all happening in the background.

fwiw, i submitted a feature request to apple suggesting they add some sort of notes or tagging system to versions… so if i want to go to an exact point in my file’s history, i could do so without needing to find this place visually and instead could browse only noted versions… even if the key versions were simply starred :star:, it would make the feature more useful for files with a long history.

fwiw, i submitted a feature request to apple suggesting they add some sort of notes or tagging system to versions… so if i want to go to an exact point in my file’s history, i could do so without needing to find this place visually and instead could browse only noted versions… even if the key versions were simply starred :star:, it would make the feature more useful for files with a long history.

Nice! I’ve heard others ask for this feature - or something very similar - as well. I’m glad to hear others are asking Apple.

(Tangentially, as developers, we are completely reliant on version control systems - like git and svn - to do our work. Being able to tag builds, branch, revert, are critical to what we do.)

1 Like

Yes, I’ve done that, but if you are unlucky the object in question is hidden in that old version, and afaik you cannot work the layers in that old version so that it becomes visible again, nor can you enter any commands like the “show” command.

Max.

in that case, you’d have to Restore the old version so you can use all the rhino commands needed to unhide etc… then Revert back to the current version.