More with SubD Tools

Fusion is a very nice modeling tool.

One place where Rhino out-shines is when dealing with a subD which ‘self-intersects’ in box mode. Fusion just errors out and won’t convert. Rhino succeeds.

you are correct in your statement, however, ideally you should fix any box mode self intersections… It’ll “work” but isn’t “correct” and as good modeling practice should be avoided.

clean box mode= clean smooth mode.

but… winning ugly is still winning, so…you do you, don’t let me and my blathering on stop you from crossing the finish line any way you see fit.

Yes, nothing like perfection but it can get in the way of expression, at times. One of the reasons I started using Rhino a number of years ago was because it’s tolerances were loose enough I could model ‘sloppily’ and get away with it. I had used an ACIS Modeler up until then and it drove one to insanity if just one little aspect (and often unknown which) was not within tolerances.

Being an illustrator, pretty close works quite well!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for posting this Gustavo. I had seen the Fusion promotion offer and was sitting on the fence as to whether it is worth having. I posted a question on here a couple of days ago to that effect but it got limited response

I’ll make the purchase.

didn;t get advice on buying fusion on the rhino forum?

here is my shocked face…

:neutral_face:

Yeah. Well, it was worth a try :grin:

Just bought a 3 year subscription to Fusion. Also very tempted by Maverick, having just had a closer look at their website. Can’t find much information on exactly what the Rhino 6 bridge brings to the table.

1 Like

Oh God. And now I’m an Autodesk Evangelist. There’s always a new low for me to reach :rofl:

don’t expect a holiday card from us this year Gusto…

:crazy_face:

3 Likes

I agree with this statement. I always value Rhino’s approach of ‘we will give you something you can work with’, even if it means more manual work still needed.

Perfect examples are challenging fillets or shelling: Rhino will try and will give you something, you might have to trim, extract, rebuild but you got something to work form. Solidworks, Fusion and all the other ‘non-committal tools’ simply say a version of: “Sorry this is not a simple AF prismatic model, so I cannot do that operation, try designing prismatic boxes with G1 fillets and then I can do anything to it!”

G

yeah, we are kinda like this guy…

2 Likes

Good find haha :grinning:!

Glad you self deprecated. As I was reading, was wanting to ask for your coupon code now that you’re on the payroll. :rofl:

No shame. Been going to that Dark Side for bail-outs since near day one. Everyone needs a vice. Gotta do what ya gotta do…

At a very practical level, the more we can do in other tools when those other tools are better at those tasks, the less I have to ask the Rhino team for improvements that are not in their best interest.

By using things like Fusion, Octane, Vray, Xnurbs, Modo, Sketchup, Unreal, Blender, Reality Composer, and all the Adobe crap, we can make sure we only ask McNeel to work hard at only what’s best for them, not what’s best for us.

And even still, it’s a part time job for me to keep them focused :rofl:

G

1 Like

What about MoI3d box -> subd -> nurbs conversion? 4 surfaces and 594 points. I think it looks nice.

1 Like

goofd job

SubDLoft and MultiPipe are my favorite SubD commands. Some old commands have useful SubD options: 3DFace, Pipe, ExtrudeCrv, ExtrudeCrvAlongCrv, ExtrudeCrvToPoint, Sweep1, Sweep2.

2 Likes

We added an option to “pack” faces in the SubD to NURBS conversion. Your example model now converts to a single closed surface with 390 CVs in Rhino (348 CVs if you only count once the CVs on the seams):

I hope that helps your workflow, and please let us know if you try it on other models and get into issues with it.

Side question, did you change the SubD before converting to Nurbs in Fusion 360? It does not seem to match the SubD exaclty:

4 Likes

Outstanding! Fusion never seemed to output an exact form…it was always a little off so I’m not surprised it doesn’t match. I do a lot of beveled type and Fusion would squash the curvature. At times more noticeable than others.

Spent a little more time with the added feature and find it to be very good. I have a feeling, for me, that’s the last of Fusion 360. The Rhino conversion is more accurate and gives a cleaner patch-work on poly surfaces.

Some past type, converted and sliced up with a little bit of fillet on the sliced faces. Worked great where-as before not always a predictably clean result.

5 Likes

RH-60157 is fixed in the latest WIP

1 Like