More spouts

About 2 weeks ago there was a posting here about a building that had spout-like shapes on the outside. Someone developed a GH script that came close to duplicating that design and I thought I’d try adapting it for 3D printing. (I haven’t been able to locate the post so I apologize for not giving credit where it’s due.)

The original script presented several problems that prevented it’s direct use for 3D printing, so I’ve been working on revising it and, after 3 major iterations, have come up with this:

This version uses no meshes, has 3D thickness, employs the Taper and Bend functions in Rhino6, does not use any plugins, and, much to my surprise, calculates fairly quickly even though it has 77 spouts.

However, it still has a number of problems:

1. The spouts don’t face the same way (meaning I haven’t figured out how to control where they face.)
  2. The Bend function seems to work in a peculiar way that requires an extra Mirror & Rotate function to get the spouts properly oriented.
  3. I’d like to use polygons instead of circles for the spout shapes, but I haven’t figured out how to do the fillet between polygonal spouts and the main body. The current fillet a bit of a fudge that uses a Loft based on an arc and a circular Sweep1.
  4. The spouts are randomly placed, but I’d like to see how they look with regular placement. (I think I know how to do this.)

Here’s the GH script for anyone who might be interested:
Spouts2.gh (45.6 KB)

2 Likes

@Birk_Binnard

1 Like

The problem with corals is all the spouts are different. Maybe the best way to deal with this is to have a bunch of different textures. I’ve never used textures so I really don’t know. But even with different textures the individual arms would need to look different too. The only way I can imagine doing this is with code.

Placing the spouts/arms is more obscure than I thought. I’ve got them evenly spaced now, which I do like better than random, but…
screenshot_02