More Licensing Aggravation!

NO!!! I don’t want to have to log into Rhino to verify my account when I switch from my desktop to my notebook!

Rhino and McNeel was are very good company to do business with.
Is that changing?

McNeel was the kind of company that reaffirmed my confidence in the software business sector, in large. Perhaps after you do all the damage control you will do here, you can consider that.

When I get a chance I am going to call McNeel, climb as high as I can, complaining all the way up.

Please, fix it.

For me, the new licensing lowers the user experience from a “A” to a “C-”.

1 Like

The V6 tool adds an additional click to what V5 did.
The license agreement did not change but it was badly abused.

Your choices are:

• Stick with V5
  • One extra click to the switch the license between machines with V6
  • Use the LAN Zoo on a network
  • Buy a second license

No, it was not just an extra click, I had to log-on to verify it.

There is an additional problem with this…
As with the misguided decision to have the same login for Rhino and the Rhino forum, just by nature of people having to keep continually entering passwords, the average user will become blaze’ about it, leaving the open to enter their user information in a password gathering scheme.

From a user’s standpoint, the new licensing is approaching draconian.

No matter what you think about it, but this part is very much not relevant to the topic. It looks more like a provocation. Although I hate PR lingo, but please don’t say that in this context.

Both Zoo and Cloud is reason why buying another license is irrelevant to the topic.

// Rolf

2 Likes

I only included to to be complete. If she truly needs V6 and can’t stand the change, it is an option. That’s why it was last on the list. I did consider leaving it off but I have had two other customers choose to buy a second license. It was for different reasons, but that was the best option for them.

I told you it was irrelevant, and therefore provocative.

People are upset for the inconvenience of using the one license they care about.

If another license is an option then there’s nothing to be upset about.

That is another one. It doesn’t try to motivate the perceived inconvenience. Not exactly anyway.

// Rolf

1 Like

It was a little different this morning…

Big brother is definitely watching… :face_with_monocle:

OK, I give it up all in one go. I’m 189cm tall, 10 to 20 kg overweight, depending on who you ask (my own opinion seemingly doesn’t count) and I’m conservative and… so on (who cares).

And I kind of like Rhino.

Pro-Rhino in short. Pro-McNeel I guess would be an implication. And I really hope that the Rhino-developer gang (I’m impressed 99.9% of the times they respond on this forum) guards the spirit in which Rhino has come to where it stands today (GH combined with integrated Animation probably would give it a boost). The 99.9% (Forum) satisfaction rate includes some “bad day”-responses, proving that we’re all humans and that after some “bad days” most of us also have “good days”. And so on.

But I do understand that also McNeel feel a need to somehow guard their interests, and also try to find ways to figure out how to stay in business and also grow their business. But one thing should be clear, or two:

§1. If the product is very expensive, the “customer” (paying the checks) is a CEO or some other indiidual which goes by PR Mumbo Jumbo.

§2. If the product cost can be contained within a household budget, then the customer is also very likely the end user, a group of people who is essentially resistant to PR Mumbo Jumbo, or more lilkely - allergic to it.

This Forum speaks to §2 people, and does it quite well most of the time. Hinting about the significance of improving the Forum. Like Rating and Filtering posts (could make an already good Forum 10-100 times better) could turn out to be a gold mine.

I mean, people are actually getting help here, and many many good ideas are shared, both solutions and improvement ideas about the product itself. Even “strongly opinionated posts” can be of value as well (after letting some posts cool for a day or two).

COMPLEXITY => DOCUMENTATION
I think that Rhino has become such a powerful Swiss Knife tool that it follows that it can be rather complex to use - which leads to the conclusion that an effort to produce a Best In Class Documentation (after Autodesk) would do good.

The connection between Complexity & Steep Learning Curve implies that Excellent Documentation probably could be a success formula for McNeel (surprise, surprise).

Better documentation would make the tool useful also for new users ( equals more new customers). Lowering a rather steep learning curve should not be underestimated as a selling argument (again, PR talk don’t impress on §2 people). Perhaps some smarter solutions for some experienced licensing annoyances could also be considered.

At last: The best non-BS PR is summarized in invoking sympathy. The worst thing to do would then be the opposite. An example of mixed feelings regarding sympathy & dislike would be Autodesk and their Documentation. The “entire world” goes to their excellent documentation pages to learn CAD concepts, and when people finally understand difficult concepts, it invokes sympathy. At least among §2 people. But much of the AD license policies invokes… ah, never mind.

Provide useful tools, don’t mess with the licenses, strive for reasonable learning curves (docs is key here) and invoke sympathy.

My shoe size? 44. Sometimes 45. But knowing that is not going to increase sales for anyone (not even for shoe makers).

// Rolf

1 Like