More interactive curve fillet tool?

@pascal I also see potential in this tool for filleting two parallel lines, but here it starts to flicker, although it does work if you’re lucky:

Another case where it behaves weird is when filleting two curves that are close together on both ends, for example:

here I would want the red part to be the black part as I move down

ps: I played with it a bit more (the code) and managed to get it working on both sides. But had to take out the gp.Constrain() part otherwise odd things happen when picking the end of curve 1.
FilletCrvTest_modified2.py (15.5 KB)

edit: one more thing, when selecting curve 1 at the lower end, and then curve 2 at the upper end, the preview is ok, but curve 1 gets trimmed at the wrong end

2 Likes

An option to be able to make a fillet…

1. … between the most distant areas of two curves…
    OR
  2. … between the closest areas between two curves…
    … will also be welcomed. :slight_smile:

Nice! You are ahead of me - taking out the constraint was on my list for the weekend.
Thanks.

-Pascal

1 Like

instead of fillet, I managed to do that with an arc instead, with the added advantage that it also fillets parallel lines :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

btw @pascal there was a small bug in make_fillets() where you used 2 times the crv1 for parameters on both curves. This caused some flickering in some cases.

FilletCrvTest_modified3.py (16.3 KB)

2 Likes

unexpected bonus: it also works on non planar curves :sunglasses:

at least… sort of: the G2 blend works, the arc is of course only tangent to 1 curve (the first)

I guess I’ll have to run it through my Non-Planar fillet tool. Not a bad idea actually…

thanks for your interest in this little P.O.C project - very cool.
(P.O.C. being Proof Of Concept, not the other thing)
-Pascal

1 Like

thanks, as it could be many things

Right, it would be awkward if people thought it was Porsche Owners Club.

-Pascal

2 Likes

@pascal I uploaded a slight modified version above (same name) where I added code that makes the arc stuff also work when setting a value or hitting enter. Although it partially works on non planar edges, it will not work when entering/entering a value, since adding a fixed radius arc would depend on the filleting code, which fails on the non planar edges.

I had some fun with this, check it out:fillet_curves_deviations.py (2.2 KB)
It won’t yet work with curves that have max distances at their ends, but that should be easy to fix if this is what you are looking for… no trimming, but outputs arcs in both directions of the curves:

2 Likes

Wow, this is really nice! :slight_smile: With all the good ideas and contributions it looks like the fillet tool will get seriously upgraded in the near future.

@Rhino_Bulgaria update:

fillet_curves_deviations.py (7.6 KB)

special cases (parallel lines) are handled this way:

icon:
fillet_curves_deviations
ps: in some cases curve deviation does not find overlaps, whatever that means and then it fails to produce arcs

12 Likes

hi @Pascal,

This is such an useful tool, just saved a lot of time by having the ability to quickly eyeball a bunch of fillets that needed to be traced - thanks again for that!
If you ever had time for more improvements, two pending suggestions are:

1. add Join Yes/No to join the filler arc with “arms” curves
  2. this is probably harder, but ability to filler polyline segments would help a lot, for now just needed to explode everything first.

It should be promoted to regular Rhino tool - who wants to use the old Fillet now!? (except for the above two advantages)

Best,

–jarek

Yeah, that would be a good thing - should be possible but will take some fooling around to get the book keeping straight.

-Pascal

2 Likes

I’m using this tool to eyeball how big of a radius I want, and then I want to type it in to get a nice and even number… however, when I do that and press enter, I get the following:

I have to say that the snapping is absolutely wonderful!

I found a case that seem to look quite interesting (no tangency on either end of the right-hand side curve):

Fillet curves 1.3dm (136.6 KB)

However, I do get a tangent radius on the upper end when I use the following script (sadly, it does not support a “flip” function):
FilletCrvTest.py (13.0 KB)
FilletCurves.rhp (21.5 KB)

1 Like

Did you try the updated tool I posted here? (@Rhino_Bulgaria @eobet )

Edit: I see for what @eobet wants this doesn’t apply)

1 Like

The script I used was also from 1st of May, so looks like you had this one updated subsequently in the same day. :slight_smile: It works properly now on the sample curves I posted earlier today. Thanks!

Another example of the wonderful snapping in this tool… I didn’t even realize that I could just select edges and it would automatically duplicate them and use them for me. Such a smooth user experience! :+1:

fantastic2

6 Likes

Just duplicated from this thread:

Perhaps, there could be an option to round to the nearest whole number, i.e. 7479 could become 7500mm or 7475mm depending on the rounding increment 100, or 25 respectively. That way, you would not have to type as much.

By the way, the feature request was added to the Youtrack, dated back to 1999. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: