Modelling Similar Shaped Stonework

Hello Forum, I have a bunch of stones to shape, similar to the image attached. What is the best workflow or set of tools to create something like this ? Any advice or tutorials would be much appreciated, cheers
Similar Profile_Shape

1 Like

you could surface model that fairly easily by building it with flat surfaces and adding blends and fillets as necessary.

you could also extrude the profile and then trim and surface as necessary

you could also do that fairly simply with Subd.

thanks for chipping in Kyle, would love to see that modelled in sub-d accurately because I wouldn’t know where to start :upside_down_face:

As mentioned here, you would start with a box and then refine by adding rings where required.

1 Like

I wouldn’t know how to do this in sub-d accurately Martin, I had a quick play after your suggestion the other day, but it soon all went a bit wrong :sweat_smile:

While I question the benefit of SubD on your object, check the attached model for an example…

SubD.3dm (479.9 KB)

I think you’re right Martin, sub-d for this kind of project is not the best option, we have many stones and different shapes, which transition between each other etc (image attached), getting the profiles and all the radius the same to match up might be tricky. Surface modelling from curves is the way to go I think. I may have more challenging shapes coming up, I’ll shout for help on here if I get stuck :rofl:. Once again, thanks for your assistance, much appreciated. :+1:

1 Like

models the flat planes 1st, and bridge to create the transitions between them.

keep an eye on your face count when you create each face so that you can bridge them together without making a mess.

another way to think about it- imagine what it would look like without any fillets, then model that. then adjust your face counts with the slide, add edges, or delete edges as needed. then bridge to connect them together.

I’d overbuild it then convert to nurbs and do the circular key detail in nurbs as subd won’t make a “perfect” circle.

but for my money, this is a Nurbs project-

1 Like