Missing links and duplicated materials

Hi there,

Starting couple months ago, my rhino kept missing material texture links. All my texture files are saved in the same folder. Some of them got relinked to temp\mcneel\rhinoceros\v7\texture$Cache$.… and at some point, I believe the temp files were gone, and my textures were gone. It happened so many times already. I can relink them, but it’s really annoying to have to do so. The problem also always comes with auto-duplicating materials. I have multiple objects, sometimes, hundreds of them applied with the same material. Whenever the missing link situation happened, Rhino will duplicates some of my materials and renamed them as " Physically based (1,2,3,3,4…). I can’t seem to find any thread about this in the forum. I’m not sure if I did anything wrong in terms of how I manage my material or is it something else. This only happens in these couple months and it happened to many different files. I’ve never had this problem in the past.

Thanks you.

@johnc - any idea here?

-Pascal

@khsia - are you still seeing this problem?

-Pascal

Yes, still have this problem.

Hi khsia - the developer would like, if possible, a simple example file or files and a clear set of steps to reproduce the problem. It need not be a ‘real’ file, boxes will be fine. If you can post those here, or to tech@mcneel.com to my attention, with a link back to this topic in your comments, that would be helpful. Please also post the results of the Rhino command SystemInfo

In the meantime, RenderMergeIdenticalMaterials may help to clean up the mess.

-Pascal

I don’t quite know how to reproduce the problem. It happens from time to time, but not always. Is it possible that the issue is relating to texture editing tools in material library? The issue started to happen around the same time I started to manipulate material colors and contrast in Rhino.

“RenderMergeIdenticalMaterials” does help for now, thank you!

Any leads on this? I’m still having this issue. No idea what the trigger is. You can see by the scroll bar this is just a small sample of what an absolute disaster my materials collection is. Not only with this file, this has happened in several models.

It seems like objects that share the same material somehow get separated such that each of them has their own instance of that material.