Mirror Finish Steel

Hello everyone, hope you all are doing well.

I am trying to make a mirror finish in rhino but I am unable to achieve it. I am not using V-Ray or any other render engine cause I want to make animation out the design later. Can anyone guide me how to create a mirror finish steel?

Thank you.

Hi - you should probably upload your file but from that picture, it would appear that you have the correct settings. You can also use a default Metal material:

How are you determining that it’s not working? In your picture, you are probably showing the Rendered display mode in the viewport. To see reflections, you’ll have to use the Raytraced display mode or render the image.
-wim

Hi Wim,
Thank you for the reply. I have attached the file below. I am not using the Raytraced display mode cause I want to make a animation of the design later. I hope I could convey my concerns.

29JulyAnimation.3dm (14.0 MB)

Hi -

You’ll either have to render your frames or use Raytraced to be able to see reflections.
Your scene as you posted it with a colorful plaster cube added:

-wim

Thank you so much for this Wim. Yeah, I guess the best option is to render each frame in Raytraced mode.

One last question Wim, is there a way to make the process faster? I want to do a video of 3min. So i will have roughly 4,140 frames and rendering these many frames will take a long time.

Your machine’s raw power (hardware) tends to be a main limiting factor. Simplifying the scene may also reduce render times, but if you want raytracing then you should expect longer render times than without.

// Rolf

1 Like

Thank you for the reply RIL. If you don’t mind me asking, do you know any other software that might speed up the process. Cause with raytraced it is taking me 8-9 days of rendering without any gap.

I already told you, use faster hardware.

Raytracing IS the software which is processed, and the raytracing technique is slower than not using raytracing technique. Only way to modify software to do less work is to do less raytracing, but that is the same as saying that you don’t want to use raytracing.

So, if raytracing is too slow, don’t use raytracing. Or use faster hardware which can process the raytracing technique faster.

Here’s an example of hardware which is specially designed to process raytracing faster:
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-Overclocked-Graphics-ROG-STRIX-RTX-2080-O11G/dp/B07HY6QWXN

You can read on Wikipedia the following about RTX graphics cards and raytracing:

Nvidia RTX is a graphics rendering development platform created by Nvidia, primarily aimed at enabling real time ray tracing. (Link to WP article here)

// Rolf

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply. Yes, that makes sense. It is my first time with raytracing so had lot of questions.

But I will surely look into that hardware and check it out. Thank you again for all your help.

If he can he should wait for Nvidia next generation cards due this autumn.
Early benchmarks hint to speed increases of up to 80% in raytracing.

@karizmar36

1 Like

That’s great to know Norbert. Thank you for sharing this information.