Minimalist still life of a vase (render)

(PS. Because of the caustics at the bottom, I had to use the Atlas solver on this one.)

10 Likes

The light shining from the back of the camera is distracting. Generally it’s not desirable to have light source from the back of the camera

It’s directly above the vase.
There is no good way to create the light patterns at the base as thrown by the plate design.
(We are so used to lack of caustics in render engines we forget they exist or matter in nature).

I can understand that. But because of that light source from behind, I can actually see that you have black box, with side walls in white and have a light source directly behind. It is creating that weird long vertical black strip with shiny center, on upper part of vase. Subconsciously it is distracting. Maybe you can move light up or hide it from reflection. Even somehow hide those white walls. Have some other interesting background image reflecting on vase.

It is not directly behind.
The light is directly above the vase. The reflection is caught because the neck curves up at that section.

I see! I always avoid such angle where you see light shining directly on camera from above or behind. In actual photography also, photographer avoid that. There is always main light source at 45 to 80 degrees from left or right and soft ambient lights from back and side.

Great, you just described the image :smiley: A light at 80 degrees to the left (or right) is basically on the side (you interpreted it as a white card), it casts light exactly as you see here. I had to break convention with the overhead spot-light to account for it hitting the plate at the bottom at the right angle. It also adds some interest to the black area at the front of the vase. Basically, sorry, but you might have to endure this one as is.

Well, you might have misunderstood. Never have light source parallel to camera. I experiment with some vase render recently with one light source.

1 Like

ok, but these are not good renders.

These are just 5 minute experiments with light study. First two have soft light from right and last one in realistic light condition. And the point being, focus on vase is not lost, nothing is distracting on it and light is catching the contours and crevices of vase, being on right side and not from above or behind.

As an industrial designer, the most important thing for me is the model, which I sometimes spend hundreds of hours modeling. Most designers make simple renderings of the product on a white background for good visibility of their designs. Thomas has his visualizations too dark for design presentation purposes, in my opinion. But… always very well thought out with an emphasis on the smallest detail. A true digital artist.

PS: How long did Atlas count this? I like Atlas, but I often can’t use it because of the materials.

Renderings (or photos) done for e-commerce have a specific purpose of quickly conveying shape and function out of which a utilitarian style emerges (stark white backgrounds etc) … on the other hand, once you start adding art, mood, and expression into the equation, the composition parameters change.

Atlas was surprising fast on this one (I’d say it was clear enough in 30min), with the caveat that it got bogged down with resolving the bump map highlights of the design on the plate. Those micro-highlights took a 30min render to 4.5hr

1 Like

Well, photography is also art. The art of capturing mood, light and shadows, colors, composition, etc. All 3D rendering programs mimic photography. Off course, to do things physically, 10 things has to be right, while in rendering, it’s tweaking here and there as needed. I don’t have any experience with Atlas but all rendering programs/plugins are getting faster and closer to physicality and basic functionality are same.

1 Like

Masterly! :slight_smile:

I like this design! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice render

1 Like