Minimal surfaces

I hope I am not intruding on this topic. The overall description (Minimal Surfaces) is certainly fitting but the specific forms under discussion are different than my current challenge.

I’ve been struggling to generate a smooth shape that is defined by five border conditions: One large square and four smaller circles:

A minimal surface script would appear to be a helpful resource and I have tried using a rhinoscript shared by Danny Boyles here.

I selected the following fixed nodes to initiate the script:

A careful inspection of this image will reveal that I had difficulty avoiding the selection of multiple nodes at once and this complicated what should have been a simple selection of perimeter elements.

All this to say that the mesh that I have been using as a basis for “relaxation” is not behaving as I would like. The existence of edges inside the mesh appear to also be derailing the proper execution of this script:

I have also seen a few tutorials online using the Kangaroo Physics Modelling Grasshopper plug-in by Daniel Piker and I’m wondering if this might be a better approach to achieving the desired result. The tensile structure video examples are pretty amazing. Any help on Grasshopper case studies that might relate to this specific application are greatly appreciated.

1 Like