Meshing in Rhino

Hi @Vijay_KG
There is a way to achieve your desired pattern using PanelingTools for Rhino. Here is what I did from left to right:

1- Created base geometry and aligned the seam of the hexagon and circle to both go through the line from one corner to the center. This will help aligning the curved properly.
2- Run ‘TweenCurves’ to generate inner curves
3- Run ‘ptGridUCurves’ to create the grid (with small set of curves, I like to turn auto-ordering off and select in order).
4- Run ptPanelGrid to generate the base panels.
5- For the cylinder, you can use the base surface and ‘ptGridSurfaceDomainNumber’ command to generate the grid.
6- Run ‘ptPanelGrid’ command (select base surface, and use AddFaces option to generate curved panels. Mesh will leave a gap with the base panels.

1 Like

Hi @rajaa, Thanks for the support. Your explanation is awesome.
I couldn’t find Tween curves in my curve tools. I’m using Rhino 4. However without using tween, I was able to achieve it with above procedure, as it is a simple hexagon. Could you please suggest on how to get missing tween curves in my curve tools set.?

Menu → General Utility → Mean Curves
or
Command ptMeanCurves
use option:
Method=Number NumberOfCurves=Number of your wanted Morphings MatchMethod=MakeCompatible

hi @eddi, Thanks alot.

Hi @rajaa @eddi , Could you please support the below discussion link

http://discourse.mcneel.com/t/obtain-smooth-mesh-at-two-surface-joints/31087

The above link is what I’m seriously looking for.

Thanks for the support rhino team.

TweenCurves is a Rhino 5 command. As an alternative, you can create a loft between you start and end curves, then extract isocurves to use. You can also use the MeanCurve command as @eddi suggested. The one limitation is that it will gives you the middle curve only.

Thanks @rajaa. Could you please give your suggestions on the discussion topic that I posted recently.,
http://discourse.mcneel.com/t/obtain-smooth-mesh-at-two-surface-joints/31087

I’m keenly looking your opinions and approach for this.

Many Thanks
Vijay

There is a possible solution in PanelingTools, and it can be solved the way I explained above. I understand that it might be a bit cumbersome.
A subdivision mesh solution is probably more appropriate. @piac do you have thoughts about a mesh subdivision solution is this case?

rajaa could u please tell me how to do same meshing
by taking rectangle instead of polyson

hii rajaa could you please tell me how to do same meshing by taking rectangle instead of polygon in above figure

could u please tell me how to do same meshing by taking rectangle at base instead of polygon

A rectangle is a polygon.

Means polygon with 4 sides

@rajaa please help with creating quad meshes by taking reactangle with 4 sides as a polygon as a base surface…i only want to join quad meshes between
Curves. I am using tween curves but I am unable to join meshes like u did above.i am attaching a pic also please help me.

I created the mesh below by following Rajaa’s instructions with “square” substituted for “hexagon”.
HoleRectangleMeshDC01.3dm (1.7 MB)

A rectangle with an aspect ratio not equal to 1 would require modification of the method.

@user2837 How much experience do you have using Rhino? Are you a student?

Yes I am student

@davidcockey can u share the command history for above creation with me

What modification did u do other than rajaa’s suggestion can u explain in detail …it would be of great help.

@davidcockey I cannot open ur file as I am using rhino version 6 only so please explain here in a bit detail.

Attached is a V6 version of the file.
HoleRectangleMeshV6DC01.3dm (1.7 MB)

You can easily find the commands to use to create rectangles and circles. The location of the seams can be adjusted using CrvSeam. The other commands I used are included in Rajaa’s instructions.

Most participants in this forum are willing to help others learn as long as it appears those asking questions are also trying to help themselves. Learning requires work, not just copying what others have done.

If you use Rajaa’s method on a rectangle you will find where it does not work as you would wish. Then think about what would be needed to achieve what you want. After you have done that you will be able to better ask for assistance.

@davidcockey thanks a lot. I am working on it brother…after failing many times I asked here. I am also keen to learn. Thanks for ur suggestions. I appreciate it.