Mesh to Surface

I tried both options of have it checked the retrim and then not to retrim and trimmed it myself and I have the same issue. I will keep playing with it, but honestly thank you so much for everything I can’t thank you enough! I would not of gotten this far without you!

I use Patch command to adjust an initial surface to better fit the mesh. My typical approach to creating a surface model of a boat hull from a point cloud is to first look at the shape and think about the best approach to model such a shape using the fewest surfaces and spans possible. That is the most important step and is where experience with modeling similar shape is very beneficial.

Next step is to create a set of boundary curves for the surface(s) which match the mesh where feasible. I may also add a few curves to further define the initial starting surface. Then I use Patch with the initial starting surface and the mesh to adjust the surface to match the mesh as closely as possible. Frequently I iterate by adding or removing knots refine the number and distribution of control points and then using Patch to adust the surface. It is not uncommon to go back and manually modify the intial curves and sometimes the basic modeling approach based on the results. The final step is fine adjustment to the surface by moving control points as needed.

Again experience with the modeling similar shapes is very helpful at a minimum. The way to get experience is by doing.

1 Like

if this result is already okay… :neutral_face: Both solutions are not really convincing. I would rather go for the second proposal of @vikthor . I mean you can see a lot of deviation in both approaches. Not in numbers but also in the shape. But the second one at least has a slightly better highlight. This is because of the radial approach. I’m not not sure about the usecase for the patch command as described. I mean in the example of @encephalon you clearly see visual irregularities which is because of plumbing a rectangular surface into the outline. It is impossible to get rid of them if the isocurves do not follow the the right way. I mean you cannot even create this out of one single surface correctly. But also the second approach is too simplistic to represent the shape. But yes, if everyone is happy, I’m sorry for annyoing you guys…

2 Likes

Hey Tom Tom,

I’m still have problems with it when I bring it into grasshopper and you can really see the distortion.

What do you suggest I’m just trying anything that works I am open to any suggestion and any help. everyone here know a lot more than me in both rhino and grasshopper and I am trying to learn.

I would play around with this layout. It is one proposal, but this is something you find out while doing:

Please note, that I made this is in paint, so the edges are not curved correctly. I would split it in 4 sections when seen from top. All surface can potentially match with g2 here.

1 Like

Hey Tom Tom,

I’ll try that I’m not to sure if I’m going to figure out how to do that, but I will play around with it though. I very much appreciate everyone’s time!

hm i was actually not aware of any irragulations, the patch looked pretty good to me no unfair areas. i can see something odd in the screenshots though but the surface was rather good no idea what causes the shading artefacts. but if so, local massaging with smooth might help to iron it out pretty fast.

i actually really love the patch tool, it helps with quick surfaces or to understand how the end result should look like. i wished it would have a bit more power, something in the direction of xnurbs.

It’s simple - Zbrush remesher (the last edition) plus few tweaks in Modo such as pushing loose geometry back to your initial mesh constraints. Sorry I haven’t much time this week, if you need more accurate interpretation of the mesh let me know and I’ll see what can I do.

Hi Mikey,

No That’s alright, that’s way above my head right now I have never used those programs, but I will definitely add them to the list.

Hey Vikthor,

How did u get the line at the top of the structure did u trace everything?

Vikthor respond pls, I also need to understand for my project

I already answered this, I don’t know where he went :frowning:

Look for a type of visualization that shows the upper outline, then you draw the curve following that shadow, then project it.

2 Likes

I’m still here :slight_smile:

The top line was just drawn in place

1 Like