Mesh faces blocking text when exporting to PDF?

Hi all,

I am having a weird issue when printing to PDF? I wonder if anyone knows a good solution?

Scenario:

I have a scene with some simple Mesh geometry, and some Text. Nothing too complex.

I am just trying to output an elevation view with text labels on some surfaces.

In the Rhino scene all the text is ‘offset’ from the surfaces by a tiny bit (so it is definitely not ‘behind’ the mesh), and it shows as expected in my Rhino view and in my Layout view:

Problem:

However, when I ExportAll to a PDF from my Layout View, I randomly get some of the mesh faces popping ‘in front’ of the text labels for some reason I cannot find? It seems to happen fairly irregularly (the specific problem faces / areas have changed several times as I have worked on this.)?

Vector PDF output missing the text in some spots:

If I open the PDF file in Adobe Illustrator or sim, I can find the text objects - they actually are all there in the PDF, they are just covered by the Mesh faces for some reason in those spots?

Note that when I output a Raster from the same Layout view, all the text objects shows up just fine. This appears to only happen in with vector output PDF.

Raster PDF output correctly showing Labels:

Has anyone every run into this and found a solution? I cannot tell what the problem is or how to fix it? I really do not want to have to have a raster PDF…

Simplified example file attached if its helpful.

Environment:

• Mac M1 / ARM
  • MacOS Monterey 12.5.1
  • Rhino v7.34.23267.11002, 2023-09-24

Thank you for any help or advice!
@ed.p.may

example.3dm (5.6 MB)
example_raster.pdf (1.7 MB)
example_vector.pdf (2.1 MB)