MergeSrf gives open edge at symmetric surfaces

It is a good method, however demands more time. Though he is simpler…

See the attached step-by-step file…

Step-by-step.3dm (709.1 KB)

2 Likes

Sure, it simply depends on the type of product and even more so on how much budget is allocated to the 3D model you’re working on. If the client pays little, she/he should get what they pay for ; )

Nice! I thought you created the main surface and then edited the control points manually but instead of that you prefer to use base curves to make a sweep. Interesting.

You rebuilt the main surface after Sweep2 to a 7 degree uv, right? I can’t get a single span surface from your curves without doing that.

I can tell almost surely…
MergeSrf gives open edges only when surrounding surfaces have a small amount of control points - weak and if to use high degree or good quantity of points - everything is good!

And MatchSrf specifies edges, that is allows to achieve necessary accuracy - here MergeSrf and works.

Yes, higher degree (more CPs) to have only a single span (Bézier surfaces) which are inherently smooth.

1 Like

Time it has come about Bezier surfaces - I have 1 question.
Somebody tried to model difficult surfaces by means of Bezier’s surfaces - generally?

The continuity of edge curves of adjacent curves is not necessarily the same as the continuity between the surfaces. In this example the surfaces are degree 7 with G6 continuity. One pair of edge curves are also G6 continuous but the other pair is G0 continuous. GCon01.3dm (214.1 KB)
GCon01

The example below has edge curves which are G6 continuous, but the surfaces are G0 continuous.
GCon02.3dm (416.2 KB)

1 Like

The final version of automotive exterior surfaces are usually modeled using a group of single span Bezier surfaces.

Boats are frequently modeled using multi-span surfaces.

The choice depends on the surface quality needed, the knowledge and experience of the modeler, and the requirements of the customer.

There are many ways to skin a cat - if you use Bézier surfaces, you don’t have to worry about internal discontinuities and non-smooth regions and it makes the model of your product much easier to modify and adjust. Any 3D model depends on the client’s deadline, quality expectation and budget so you simply decide before starting what your demarcations are; whether futzing it is totally ok or more care should be used.

There is nothing special about it otherwise.

There is very useful information! :grinning:
It is impossible to determine the continuity of the surface by the continuity of edge. However GGon all the same gives only approximate information.

I somehow didn’t pay attention to Bezier of a surface - I will mean now. :wink: