Mechanical Engineering (bolts, clips, hooks, ribs, inserts,...)

Hello All!

I’ve been modelling with Rhino 7 for the last two months and I think it’s a great tool for my work (complex surface modelling for industrial and product design products).

Approaching the engineering phase it’s common to add some stuff, such as bolts, clips, hooks, ribs, inserts and others. I’m sure that I didn’t find the right workflow yet and I’m looking for an effective method that can be paragonable to some of the usual parametric softwares.

Is Grasshopper the way to go?

Hi @Aaron_Borin ,

since it’s all planeToPlane transformations I think gh is a good way. Be aware that working with blocks can be a bit difficult at the beginning. I would recommend to take a look at elefront for the block management and boltgen as a base for screws etc.

Hope it helps!

Relevant Blocks management in Grasshopper
(maybe skip the initial … pessimism … There are lots of people discussing the current situation with blocks)

Thank you all, guys.
I’ll go with the block management. I’ve installed elefront as well.

You date the wrong girl. Use a MCAD app with History Feature Driven Modelling and/or a hybrid one. Plus the Instance Definition management in Rhino pales in comparison with any of the above (not to mention the multi Display modes - on a per View basis/multi Clips/Kinematics/Assembly-Component schemas … and a zillion other things [plus the PLM if you are after the big picture]).

There’s a reason why CATIA/Siemens NX (and their “entry level” aps) rule the world.

Catia and I had a 7 years long relationship… as an employee, absolutely out of my budget as a consultant, considering that I need hardcore surface tools first.
My job is into industrial & product design instead design engineering, but sometimes this kind of “mechanical stuff” are needed. I guess blocks are the answer, in the worst scenario I ll go with a cheaper parametric sw to match Rhino.

If you want cheaper parametric software to match Rhino you may want to look at BricsCAD Pro which has 2D and 3D parametrics, or if you also need BOM etc. BricsCAD Mechanical. BricsCAD has an AutoCAD style user interface. Not really cheap but considerably less expensive than Solidworks/SolidEdge/Inventor or even AutoCAD.

The alternative might be FreeCAD which has parametrics as well and is free but I’ve found it a bit more unwieldy to use as it is a history based parametric cad/mcad program whereas BricsCAD is a direct modeling CAD program so no hassle from a history tree etc. which my be more like you are used to with Rhino, plus that there is Rhino inside BricsCAD available for it.

Thank you!

But probably FreeCAD matches my habits better. I’m trying the workflow between Rhino and FC now.