McNeel Screwing Rhino 5 users

It is clear that for McNeel and co to write V 6, that they claim works correctly with Win10 Creators version. Then they must have been aware at the outset of programming V6. I.e. advised by Microsoft. They advise on discourse not to update to Creators, but then many users like myself, had no idea it had downloaded, and no matter what steps one took. It installed on reboot.
Scott Davidson writes they can fix some problems but not all….So V 5 users are in the Lurch.
Does anyone care to guesstimate how many versions of Rhino 5 McNeel sold, they knowing full well what would occur?
V 6 is nowhere ready for release, and even if it does, it means that the cost of updating your of your plugins is going to cost.
McNeel and the like, have for years gotten away with having their so called new versions debugged by users. On the pretext that it is technology. What a joke.
Next time I am on a plane ‘Will” the pilot enounce Ladies and Gentlemen this is your captain speaking, kindly let the Stewards know ‘if you notice anything untoward’
But of course highly unlikely, as they do not get involved with the likes of Microsoft, and before anyone pipes up Apple is no different. Ask the latter why they were forced to refund the cost of their Top of the Line Mac Pro.

What -exactly- is the problem that you are seeing after having installed SR14 and following the instructions for your OS?

Down loaded the latest version yesterday, THERE IS NO INSTRUCTIONS: only to find on opening it was using my previous presets. That is after I deleted everything to do with Rhino. But then Advanced Uninstaller Pro finds over a thousand bits left behind. Then if one does Regedit- McNeel one finds lots of registry entries still in place.
As to what is occurring:
For one, Surfaces are going bad when one has been nowhere near them, save breaking and joining the model looking for any bad entries on what one has just put right.
Two: copy a valid set of joined surfaces into a new drawing, and it becomes Invalid.
For another join a valid surface to other already joined valid valid surfaces and it crashes.
Sent the Dump file to McNeel, they come back it does not tell them what they need to know. Well rewrite the bloody file!
But then none of this is connected to the fact that McNeel new full well a long time ago about all this. And Kept Stum.

This is by design (fortunately), it doesn’t delete your previous settings. If it did, most users would be very unhappy if they had to uninstall/reinstall for some reason. Here is some more information on uninstalling/cleaning.

Pretty much all programs do this, and generally it doesn’t affect your computer in any way - much as the manufacturers of “registry cleaner” software would like to have you believe otherwise.

NONE of what you describe has anything to do with the update of Windows. It sounds like you have a problem with one or more of your files - most likely bad geometry - but this is not related to the installation of SR14 nor to Windows Creators edition. That caused display issues with some panels and the like, but did not affect any kind of geometry creation.

Edit: oh, and by the way I’ve flagged your post as inappropriate/offensive language…

–Mitch

2 Likes

Fine if you find the Truth inappropriate/offensive do as you please, I did not expect anything else.
As for:
NONE of what you describe has anything to do with the update of Windows. It sounds like you have a problem with one or more of your files - most likely bad geometry - but this is not related to the installation of SR14 nor to Windows Creators edition. That caused display issues with some panels and the like, but did not affect any kind of geometry creation.

It should be obvious as to why I was trying to transfer each surface one by one to a new file. I have had to that in the past many times to get rid of phantom lines and surfaces. The point you miss is Rhino created the crap in the first place. Never mind the excuses!

Could be Rhino bugs, or something else… Only way to know would be to see a file… --Mitch

1 Like

Where would you like the ;confidential file sent, and for whose attention?
I have always been reluctant to post anything to users on discourse, So many who do not bother to grasp the problem,chirp in.

You can use rhino3d.com/upload, copying the link to this discussion in the comments field. It should find its way to the right people.

You can try any of these:

Hi again sorry for late response,

1. can you tell me where or what the link is to this discussion.
    2.How to send a private message.

Many thanks

The link to this discussion is its URL:
https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/mcneel-screwing-rhino-5-users/

You can also link to a specific post in a discussion - copy the link after clicking on the link icon:

Send a private message by clicking on the avatar of a person and then Message.

Many thanks for the info

However I do not think it will load, as I have just taken a look and in Zip format it is 64.9 MB.
Obviously it has retained all the info from the master drawing.which is 1.47 GB and an Emergency SAVE file that Rhino created is 616 MB. When the whole thing should be in the region of say 15-20 MB,

Well, you might have some large textures stuck in there or some other stuff… Some things to try:

Select the objects you want to export, then use -Export (with the dash), and in the command line set SaveTextures and SavePlugInData both to No. See if that doesn’t help reduce the file size. It’s certainly possible that your geometry alone is causing the file size, in that case zipping it is pretty much the only thing you can do to help for sending it to someone… The McNeel file upload system (Rhino - Upload to Support) can handle very large files, the only limitation might be your upload speed.

–Mitch

Original 578 MB after applying your advice 583 MB
Any other suggestion.

Just upload with rhino3d.com/upload . The size isn’t an issue.

1 Like

Will do. Many thanks.

@Douglas1
The post you’re referring to was from April.
The problems in V5 caused by Microsoft’s 1703 update were fixed with Service Release 14.

I have edited the title of that old forum post to reflect that fix.

We aren’t “screwing” anybody.

4 Likes

I think all at McNeel do their best and produce excellent products. I have been a 3D user for over twenty five years. When it came time to purchase what I felt was the best for my needs I shopped around … Rhino 3D ended up on the top of my list.
That was some years ago, if anyone asks me what to buy I always tell them Rhino. You can do pretty much anything you want with this software as long as your willing to learn how the use all that is in the package.
Just my feelings on this thread… Danny

5 Likes