Maxwell Render, is it dead?

Not “Maxwell”, but…Bella for Rhino

2 Likes

I don’t think it is a replacement for Maxwell, is it?

Alternative to…

2 Likes

I personally think it’s a replacement :sunglasses: I also really like Diffuse Logic’s philosophy and the guys behind Bella.

Philip

3 Likes

Not now , maybe in future

As far as I understood it will be just a competitive product next to Maxwell, Maxwell will keep existing as it’s from a different company.
There is still a very long way to go for Bella to become an alternative. If you want to render exotic caustics it’s going to be nice. Other than that it will be just another unbiased renderer that (at this time) hasn’t got any other USP.
If you look at the current market of mature renders (with a massive feature set), it’s going to be a difficult battle for Bella to gain market share.

1 Like

For Mac Rhino that market is wide open. Besides native Cycles for Rhino and as far as I know there is only Maxwell V5 ( still not fully developed last time I read about it) as an integrated plugin for Rhino. And then you have Keyshot( super expensive and industrial design oriented) and Twinmotion connected via live links but not integrated within Rhino. Also, Chaos seems to show not interest in developing Vray for Mac rhino.

As a long time Maxwell Render user, I no longer use it as I lost confidence on the company, I’m pretty sure that Jeremy will not disappoint us with his top notch support and commitment to develop the tightest integrated plugin for Rhino. But I agree with you that is not going to be easy for them to gain that market as Bella is still very young and the quality is not the only or most important aspect of a render engine nowadays.
If you are listening Jeremy, please focus on an intuitive and easy to use tool with very good assets, at least that’s what I look for when searching for a render engine this days.

3 Likes

Exactly!

Yep…

Yes, me too.

I have the same feeling :wink:

Philip

3 Likes

Well, I think the implementation of Maxwell 5 into Rhino 6 is a big step forward. On the mac you have now FIRE working, the material editor is better integrated, the renderer is faster and Multilight is a revelation. You are able to generate a light animation or multiple lighting setups out of just one render.

Many companies have issues inside, that is normal. But Next Limit was the first company to make their render plugin avalible for Rhino Mac. And that was my personal reason to switch from V-Ray to Maxwell.

Right !
The soul of Maxwell is where the core developers Oscar Cano and Albert Martinez are. Currently, the spirit of Maxwell is in “Bella”.

5 Likes

I have a Maxwell 4 license (node-locked) + 10 render nodes for sale if anyone is interested.

they cancelled all my licenses and nodes without preliminary notice, after a long silence.
They’re already dead for me.

I am using Maxwell as plugin in Rhino 6. I did have a lots of problem making it work at the begining but with help from Next Limit we made it work.
The interface has changed a lot since the Rhino 5 so I had to re-learn a lots of things, also there are still some bugs. Otherwise, it still gives great results and yes, slow!

1 Like

Yes, and a third release of the Maxwell 5 Rhino plugin has just been made available.

For me it works fine till now. A big step forward is the better integration with Rhino materials.

1 Like

They were always helpful when I had to contact them. Have you tried to get in contact?

No. when I discovered that, I lost any interest in them and their product.
I’d been a contributor. They published some of my renderings in their own publications and on the manual I’d been very active on MXWL, and I loved it.
But I don’t consider them any longer. Dead man walking for me.

Yesterday I tried the new version for mac 5.0.6.3

They have now integrated their material editor into Rhino. If you create emitters for example you don’t have no longer to create mxm materials but can change the properties directly in the rhino dialogue. This is another step ahead and helps my workflow.

I knew I made a mistake buying Maxwell. I’ll check if they voided my licenses too. If so, I’ll add the people behind Maxwell to the “you’re dead to me” list. There’s no coming back from that in my book. Unlucky for them, I’m really active online and just LOVE to rant online. RIP.

1 Like