Material units

Hi Karamba,
i am writing some c# code that creates a karamba model.
The constructor of FemMaterial_Isotrop expects kN/m2 for the Young´s modulus.
According to the documentation (1.3.2) the method E() is supposed to return kN/cm2, but it returns the Young´s modulus in kN/m2.
Have there been API changes? Is this a typo in the documentation?
Thanks for your help.
Tilman

Ok, i think it´s a typo in the documentation.
It should be kN/m2 also in the method E().

Can someone confirm?

Probably the test/example under https://github.com/karamba3d/K3D_tests/blob/master/KarambaCommon_tests/Materials/Materials_tests.cs is a bit misleading then.
Young´s modulus of steel should be 210000000kN/m2 ?!

var materials = new List { new Karamba.Materials.FemMaterial_Isotrop(“family”, “name”, 210000000, 10000, 10000, gamma, 10, 0, null) };

Hello @tilman.reinhardt,
thanks for the input! You are right there is a typo in the documentation. It should be kN/m². I will also change the value in the test. Sorry for the inconvenience.
– Clemens

Hello @tilman.reinhardt, could you tell me the page number so that I can remove the typo? Thanks!
– Clemens

Hi Clemens,

ich beziehe mich auf die 1.3.2 SDK Dokumentation:

Ich denke mal, das trifft auch auf G, fy, etc. zu…

Btw gibt es davon eine aktuellere Version?
Grüße
Til

Hi Til,
thanks for the hint! We are currently preparing an on-line version of the SDK documentation and the scripting manual.
– Clemens

1 Like

Following this thread I have been having many issues with the units and updates. Somehow the code updates rather randomly between kn/cm2 to kN/m2, etc, even though it clearly states that units are kN/cm2. I need to run a batch of hundreds of cases. How can I prevent updates altogether? I have attached ilustrative print screens showcasing the Young Modulus supposedly being input and output both in kN/cm2. The values are self updated within minutes, sometimes in over an hour.

@karamba3d can you please support us?

Hello @edmaralino,

the recommended solution to this problem is to edit the ‘karamba.ini’ file which can be found in the installation folder of Karamba3D (accessible via double-click on the Karamba3D Desktop icon).

On startup of Grasshopper Karamba3D reads all settings from there. The ‘Settings’-component takes effect only after having been evaluated. If there are several loose ends of the directed graph which represents the Grasshopper definition, it is not defined which one of these gets executed first. So, in the first run of a definition it can happen that the ‘Settings’-component does not take effect before all other components.

–Clemens