Material Color reverts to dark grey

Hey @Brent_Kuhn

This has nothing to do with GPUs or graphics drivers… Please make sure your GPU and OpenGL settings are all set back to their defaults. This is a process bug that we just need to figure out how to repeat. I will try to repeat this issue today and let you know if I find anything.

Does the color swatch in the material editor turn to Red when you close out the color picker? If so, what happens if you jog the view a little after closing the material editor (i.e. rotate, pan, zoom)? If jogging the view doesn’t make things display correctly, what happens if you select the object(s)? Does that cause things to update?

IMO, a video would be very useful… Typing something in this forum is usually not the same as what is actually being done. Yes, I believe that the problem exists, but since none of us can repeat the problem following the instructions given, then either the instructions given are inccorrect…or at least not being interpreted correctly by us. A video not only shows me exactly what you’re doing, it also shows me what you’re not doing… if that makes sense.

Thanks,
-Jeff

@Brent_Kuhn

Also a good rule to follow when supplying examples is that you too try to repeat the problem using exactly what you’ve supplied. There have been on numerous occasions where users throw together an example file thinking it will show the problem simply because it “looks” like what they’re working on…and it turns out that the example doesn’t show the problem at all, because the problem stems from something else inside the original file.

So given the Test.3dm file you supplied, I would make sure that following your own instructions using that exact file still shows the problem. I see in your screenshots that there are potentially many more materials that exist, whereas there are none in the file you supplied… This may be part of the problem.

Thanks,
-Jeff

Thanks for the reply Jeff,

I tested in on a third computer and the same error occurs (dell mobile
workstation, amd radeon mobile graphics card).

Here’s video of the problem happening:

Thanks @Brent_Kuhn.

@andy I think you might want to have a look at this as well… Note at second 0:13 in his video…When he clicks Ok to close the material editor, notice the material swatch in the Layer panel…it turns grey immediately. Something is setting (or resetting) the material on exit out of the ME…and thus, the objects in the display turn grey, as they are simply using the material they are given. I have no idea what would cause this, but perhaps you might.

-Jeff

Looks like you guys fixed it in the new build (6.0.17318.8561,
11/14/2017). RH-42395 seems to have addressed & fixed the bug.

Great job!

That’s great @Brent_Kuhn! Thanks for following up with us on that.

-J